What's Sky+ Subscription Fee Actually For?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by NJTheLSM, May 21, 2004.

1. NJTheLSM

NJTheLSM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I currently use Sky digital, just getting the free to air channels (no active contract with Sky).

Is it possible to just buy a sky+ box from ebay and change my box over (I know I need to change the LNB and add an additional cable).

I won't be paying the £10 monthly subscription charge - so what would I be missing out on? Does this mean I don't get the normal listings so can't set a future programe to be recorded - or does it not work at all without subscription?

Any advice in the area would be great :thumbsup:

Thanks

N

2. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    If you don't pay the fee you get none of the Sky+ functionality. So no point in getting the box. If you're thinking of using the box as a HDD recorder for free channels, forget it.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    The SKY+ subscription is simply the price SKY puts on supplying the service, it's to generate revenue which after all is the only reason for the existence of 99.9% of companies:)

If you don't pay the fee or have a subscription package that includes the SKY+ service then I can not see any reason to have the box especially as only a few subscription channels offer Dolby 5.1 audio.

If you leave in a Freeview coverage area then there are two STB's with twin tuner HD recording on the market now with more to come, they are of course subscription free.

4. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is no cost to sky in maintaining Sky plus functions. But it works better for them to charge by the month:

- subsidize box and installation and get more subscribers
    - more flexibility in marketing/customer arm-twisting
    - more money in the long run