1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's SKY+ like thru Samsung PS42S5H

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by johnhy, Sep 2, 2005.

1. johnhy

johnhy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Getting Samsung PS42S5HX hopefully deliverd middle of next week, Ive been able to see it thru DVD and HD - impressed by both.But not been able to see a SKY+ signal through RGB scart, what do people who have the plasma think of it? do you have to have contrast up high for example or do you get a good PQ anyway, obviously depending on the bandwith. Thanks all

2. tjradiohead

tjradiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I will be able to tell you when mine arrives tomorrow.

What HD material have you seen through this? i havent seen any HD on the sammy yet.

3. johnhy

johnhy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    It was in Robert Whyte in Glasgow they had a Japnese "pod" set up which fed a HD signal to all the plasmas-it was a trailer for panasonic i think- and this was only thru component so a true HDMI signal must be even better.

4. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    To be honest I saw Sky through it before making my choice of the PV500. Just my opinion but I didnt think it was very good. But then I didnt think it looked great with DVD's either. Hence the reason I went for my panasonic

5. johnhy

johnhy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    wish you hadn't said that I'm gonne worry now however everyone on here and has it at home seems happy so that'll do me lol

6. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Its all a question of what you can afford and what you feel is the best for you. I felt that I wanted the best, which I know the Panasonic is. Well at least until the Pioneer comes out.

Im sure you will be happy with it, I will say though that I did like the look of the Samsung.

7. derthballs

derthballs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    It depends, some sky stuff like football, is pretty bad, but movies and sky one is decent enough, but not brilliant. Looks really good running my xbox 720p and 1080i though, stunning in fact. Got a samsung HD850 dvd player and some movies on that look awesome too.

My contrast moves about on sky, but dosent do it on other feeds. I get a slight buzzing at the back of the tv which annoys, and the audio is ever so slightly out of sync (if i put my tv on in kitchen you can hear this, hard to actually see).

Im getting my screen swapped over though, as i dont think others have this problem.

8. tjradiohead

tjradiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Mine is here, just got to lug the box upstairs :clap:

9. lewisacat

lewisacat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

I have been running my s5h now for a week and the picture quality i get from SKY is pretty good considering i am using some pretty naff scarts at the moment.

I am very happy with the panel.. i read here someone saying thier screen looked better the longer it was used and i wasnt too sure at first. But i can say for sure the picture really does seem to be getting better. :thumbsup:

Cant wait to see what its gonna be like with some decent componant cables for the dvd and scart for sky.

As for Hi-def meterial i have not seen anything on it yet..waiting to see what sky comes up with next yearna dhow much they will stiff me for it.

10. johnhy

johnhy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I need to get some good component cables fro mine as well for DVD and Iknow this isn't the right forum but can anyone recommend any idealy less than ~£30

11. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Whatever you do, don't look at SKY on the PV500 - it will make you sad...*

*This means the SKY+ PQ quality is outstanding :)

12. tjradiohead

tjradiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Plenty of people have said that the picture quality on sky on the samsung is also superb, which makes me wonder what i am doing wrong. I am using the standard scart cable that the engineer gave me, will getting a more expensive scart really make much difference?

13. jonnye

jonnye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ????? Suprised some of you guys are still picking up s5h's when the P5 is being released this week for almost the same price (give or take 200 quid!) Are you guys aware of this??

14. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    So who's selling the PS-42P5H for £1699 ??? Since you can get the PS-42S5H for £1499 at the moment.

It's more likely to be another £400 not £200 !!

And what makes it worth another £400 ??

Unlike reported earlier - it looks like it will not have the anticipated extra HDMI or SCART interfaces over the S5H. All it offers is an all black design with some extra speakers behind the grille.

In fact I hear Samsung UK may be reconsidering the pricing of the S5H - they set it too low.

Now that Panasonic are NOT lowering their pricing - it is putting pressure on Samsung UK to actually INCREASE their S5H price.

Do not be surprised if this happens.

Gussie :)

15. craigae

craigae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Well, I am super happy with Sky on my Samsung now it's settled down. I thought running in a plasma was a load of rubbish, but the picture really has improved, and with fiddlying with the picture settings, the Sky+ signal via RGB is sweet.

I know its not ideal viewing conditions, but my Dixons XL has the Samsung 5H alongside 3 other plasmas, and at first the pv500 looked best. After a few weeks, the Samsung is now obviously clearer and more colourful than all of them.

I'm not saying the Samsung is the best plasma ever, but i honestly can't fault mine. My intention was to buy the 5H now cos it was cheap(ish) and upgrade to a native 1080 plasma in the future, but now I'm not so bothered.

16. tjradiohead

tjradiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Craig, its me again :smashin:

How long have you been running your plasma in for? i got mine on saturday, and the sky picture has already improved somewhat.

Can i expect it to improve much further?

I am very happy with this set i would like to add, for the price, i think its the best out there.

17. neilbutler

neilbutler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went to look at the PS42s5H last night in currys and Comet, to be honest after standing there a while the screen started to look 4:3 to me and the feed through seemed to have black bars above and below. Am I missiung something here? I dont think it is just because the speakers are below it.... :lease:

18. craigae

craigae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    lol, the screen is def 16:9! The black bars are really cool if you watch the plasma in low light, and the seperate grey speaker isn't really visible in low light either.

19. craigae

craigae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I've had mine a month now. I think you may be in for a little more improvement. It's hard to explain, but i think it was watching something like the news on BBC1 or simpsons, where the colours seemed deeper and defined, and things kinda stood out from each other, without that little outline some plasmas put round stuff in SD material. Everything just seemed more 'solid' and 'there', and on *very* close inspection, the little pixels weren't showing as much of the 'fuzz' they did when i first got it.

20. Bill_Abz

Bill_Abz
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have had mine for about a month now also, and the Sky picture is still getting better. Improvement is slowing down, but the picture has definitely lost the initial "harshness" that I found when I first got it.

I initially had Sky running through my old Sony DVD as this was the only way to get sky and DVD onto the RGB Scart, but have since replaced the Sony with a Samsung HD850, so now Sky is connected to the RGB Scart on the Plasma and removing this "pass-thru" made a noticeable inprovement on Sky's PQ. (Also had a Scart switcher for the Xbox too..this has also been consigned to the bin, and it REALLY degraded the RGB feed).

I have found that I'm changing the colour/contrast/brightness settings less and less as time goes on, which is either me being happy with the PQ I have or the Panel settling in. Could be a bit of both.

The connections I'm going to use are HDMI for the DVD, Component for the Xbox, VGA for the PC (the WMV-HD demos are awesome with a 1024*768@72Hz Screen Setting), and good old RGB Scart for Sky +. When Sky HD comes out, I guess it'll be time to buy an HDMI Switcher!

One thing to note is that the low bitrate channels on Sky can give quite a poor picture, with lots of banding and solarisation and contrast shifting, where the Higher quality channels Sky News, Surprisingly ITV1, Movies etc, don't show this up with my standard settings. So it doesn't seem to be a fundamental screen problem.

Changing your leads for higher quality ones will make an improvement, but I wouldn't go mad and get 100 quid leads, my scarts that I use just now were about 25 quid, but they are much better than "factory supplied" ones.

Bill.