whats serenity like?ive never seen it.

meweavy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is it like a star wars kind of thing?ive never seen it...

Serenity is a great movie. It's like Star Wars in so much as its a sci-fi...but thats about it. Its probably got more in common with a *western*. It's based on the short lived tv series FireFly.

Checkout this review from empire:

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/review.asp?DVDID=116952

The hightlights from that review:

Plot
Mal Reynolds (Fillion) is captain of the space craft Serenity, home to a nomadic crew of mercenaries whose relative tranquillity has been disturbed by their taking on Dr. Simon Tam (Sean Maher) and his troubled sister, River (Glau). River is caught up in a conspiracy involving galactic superpower The Alliance, and they’ll stop at nothing to get her back

Verdict
If you’re a novice, this is a plucky introduction to Whedon’s world and the most fun sci-fi of the year. If you’re a devotee, this is the magnificent return you’ve been praying for.

I couldn't disagree more. It's a very disappointing film.

So bad in fact that my g/f (who puts up with a lot of my sci-fi stuff) walked out.

But each to their own, I have a couple of friends who love it, and a couple who hate it. Seems to be one of those films that polarise opinions.

Which is probably why it failed miserably at the box office despite good reviews from the people who did actually bother going to see it!

Like you said though - each to their own. It's definitely a movie that divides opinion...

I enjoyed the movie, I have the hd-dvd version of it still sealed. Haven't had time to watch it yet, work has been very busy recently.

Even thinking about trading it for something else as I already have the dvd of Serenity. It's not the best Sci-Fi movie out there, but it was enjoyable, I'd rate it a 7/10.

It's a great film.

IF you've seen Firefly. It can work if you haven't but I'd really really advise watching the series first. Then if you get sucked in by the series you'll love the film. It is after all set after the series and ties up a bunch of storylines. What Firefly/Serenity has going for it the most is the cast. They just clicked right from the start and the characters work wonderfully together. So if you've watched the episodes first then you will certainly get far more from the film. Serenity works best if you've already got an emotional attachment to the characters.

Which is probably why it failed miserably at the box office despite good reviews from the people who did actually bother going to see it!

Like you said though - each to their own. It's definitely a movie that divides opinion...
im not sure about this,i dont really want to buy the film because of the hd wow factor,if its a crap story or if its cheesy then theres no point really.
all ive got coming at the moment is superman returns and king kong(if it comes with my comet order).
any ideas?

i really liked the last samurai,but is there a big jump from dvd to hd on this film?

It's no Star Wars... But neither is Star Wars anymore.. :D

But as a film based on a TV series, it's pretty good.

Sure it's popcorn entertainment, but whats wrong with that. It will not change your life, but if you're a Sci-Fi fan I recon this film is a must... even just so you know why it polarises opinion. ;)

I don't think it would have been so popular if it wasn't for such a drought of good space based Sci-Fi :(

However, as you can pick it up for a few quid at the supermarket, it's probably one of the better flicks to gamble a few quid on. Give it a whirl! Or even better try and borrow a HD version. :clap:

It's no Star Wars... But neither is Star Wars anymore.. :D

But as a film based on a TV series, it's pretty good.

Sure it's popcorn entertainment, but whats wrong with that. It will not change your life, but if you're a Sci-Fi fan I recon this film is a must... even just so you know why it polarises opinion. ;)

I don't think it would have been so popular if it wasn't for such a drought of good space based Sci-Fi :(

However, as you can pick it up for a few quid at the supermarket, it's probably one of the better flicks to gamble a few quid on. Give it a whirl! Or even better try and borrow a HD version. :clap:
so not worth buying on hd then?

i really liked the last samurai,but is there a big jump from dvd to hd on this film?

I've got the SD version and have seen it enough times.. I recon it's a great example of how the overall (sometimes) subtle differences can really improve the overall feel and look of the film. There were not any times when my jaw dropped at the sheer brilliance of the picture. I just sat there with a big grin, enjoying the quiality of what I was seeing, and not noticing any negative aspects to the PQ, There were a couple of times though when I did really think there was a good improvement over SD. however I was again, drawn into the movie and enjoyed it, :D the battle scenes, the smoke, the blood and gore flying everywhere and the whirl of colours, not to mention the decent sound. :smashin: Then the slower bits such as the views across the landscape from the village, the 'head honchos' little garden, ;) and the hustle and bustle of Tokyo, made this a great Home Cinema experience IMO. :thumbsup:

Can't say which would be better Serenity or this, it depends on your mood. And PQ is probably equal.

(BTW I did watch it on a PJ, but I presume it would still be a good improvement on a decent 32" ish screen)

In my opinion, waht the series (Firefly) before waching the film, it will give you the background of the characters much better. I watched the film before the series but still found it a good film, but understood it more after watching firefly :thumbsup:

I've got the SD version and have seen it enough times.. I recon it's a great example of how the overall (sometimes) subtle differences can really improve the overall feel and look of the film. There were not any times when my jaw dropped at the sheer brilliance of the picture. I just sat there with a big grin, enjoying the quiality of what I was seeing, and not noticing any negative aspects to the PQ, There were a couple of times though when I did really think there was a good improvement over SD. however I was again, drawn into the movie and enjoyed it, :D the battle scenes, the smoke, the blood and gore flying everywhere and the whirl of colours, not to mention the decent sound. :smashin: Then the slower bits such as the views across the landscape from the village, the 'head honchos' little garden, ;) and the hustle and bustle of Tokyo, made this a great Home Cinema experience IMO. :thumbsup:

Can't say which would be better Serenity or this, it depends on your mood. And PQ is probably equal.

(BTW I did watch it on a PJ, but I presume it would still be a good improvement on a decent 32" ish screen)
im gonna get this i think,cheers,ive seen it once but i dont own it,so i may as well get it on hd as it is a good film.not really sure what else to get.i do like batman begins but ive seen it about 6 times so there isnt really any point.

so not worth buying on hd then?

I think it was, and did.

If you haven't seen the film, and arn't a big Sci-Fi fan, and only buy films on DVD you know you will like, then no.. :D

If you have £15 burning a hole in your pocket, your a Sci-Fi fan and want a fun Space based film to show you what HD can do then yes. :smashin:

The decision is yours....

ive just ordered the last samuai now,£12.99 a bargain.
i,ll stick serenity on the back burner for now.

Better still, if you've got £35 burning a hole in your pocket, you could get the FireFly boxset plus Serenity on HD-DVD!! ;)

ive just ordered the last samuai now,£12.99 a bargain.
i,ll stick serenity on the back burner for now.

Where did you order for £12.99? (thanks, in advance)

P.S. I think Serenity is very enjoyable (good mix of Sci Fi, Action and Humour) - have ordered on HD hoping that one day I'll have a unit I can actually watch it on :) :)

Better still, if you've got £35 burning a hole in your pocket, you could get the FireFly boxset plus Serenity on HD-DVD!! ;)

If only it was Firefly in HD, :D
I've been watching FireFly on Sci-Fi channel, when I remember, I did know of it before I saw the film but hadn't seen it. Shame it never got more funding..

This world needs more Sci-Fi !!

If only it was Firefly in HD, :D
I've been watching FireFly on Sci-Fi channel, when I remember, I did know of it before I saw the film but hadn't seen it. Shame it never got more funding..

This world needs more Sci-Fi !!
its a pity the aliens box set isint coming out on hd.that would be good.or the 3 original star wars films.

its a pity the aliens box set isint coming out on hd.that would be good.or the 3 original star wars films.

You never know... :rolleyes:

I garantee both will eventually be out in HD. :D

Besides as good as they are, where's this generations SW or Alien/s ?

Too many blinkin pirates and Superheroes and not enough Sc-Fi :rotfl:

Yup. I'd take Sigourney Weaver on the Nostramo over Johnny Depp on the Black Pearl any day!! :thumbsup:

I thought Serenity was a lot better than the last three Star Wars cartoons. Way more quotable, far deeper plot. Think of it as the sort of world Han Solo would have lived in, where men are real men, women are real men etc. Definitely like a western. But without stetsons. And with space ships. And swords.

Think of it as the sort of world Han Solo would have lived in, where men are real men, women are real men etc...

Are you sure??

Way more quotable, far deeper plot. .

I've heard some strange SW theories before, thats one of the strangest tho' :D

Perhaps we are talking about a different Han here.... Did you mean this Han Solo ?

han1.jpg

A cocky Corellian with a wry wit, dry humor, a reckless disposition, and technological savvy, who began his career as a smuggler circa 10 BBY. He went through several employers, had a short military career, and met and befriended Chewbacca. He was the captain of the Millennium Falcon and upset enough sentients to have several bounties placed on his head before being swept up into the Galactic Civil War against his wishes. He later became a general in the Rebel Alliance and eventually married Leia Organa, who became the mother of his three children, Jaina, Jacen and Anakin.

????

:rotfl:

Info from here BTW. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Still kinda out classes Serenity IMO :thumbsup:

im a huge star wars fan and i wouldnt get into the serenity v star wars debate, there isnt one...
as for serenity it is a good sci fi film, there are some great scenes in the movie but it does drag a wee bit around the 3/4 mark,
the hd dvd is great and well worth looking at getting mate

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom