What's readable on your Xbox?

gavan

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Reading another thread where someone is having trouble reading CD-RWs on their XBox, I was wondering what formats are readable on the XBox with various drives.

I've found that mine can read CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DWD+RW but strangely, _not_ DVD+R. I haven't tested DVD-RW.

No idea why it would read +RW but not +R, very strange. I tried a couple of different brands of +R media too, so it's not that.

Gav

what about dvd-a?

Originally posted by Games Guru
what about dvd-a?

I was talking about different kinds of physical meda, not what various formats for music/video are out there. Seems that different DVD drives have varying compatibility with media.

FWIW: The Xbox definitely wouldn't be able to play DVD-A properly (ie in full quality), but you should be able to play the DD or DTS tracks on it, like any other DVD player.

Gav

So far I've found CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-r and DVD-RW to be OK on my Xbox. And it's one of the original models. I haven't tried +R or +RW but I really don't have any need for them either.

Gavan, call me stupid but are you sure xbox can't read DVD-A?

I know if you mod it then it can read divx, so can you mod it to read dvd-a?

My dvd player can only read the dts track like you said, and I can't be arsed to fork out for a dedicated dvd-a player, unless there is a very good and very cheap one (-£100)

Nice one mate, cheers! :smashin:

Your welcome...

I've been thinking about getting one myself, it seems cheap enough to take a gamble on.

No RGB though :(

I couldn't see where it lists DVD-A among it's capabilities though.

True about the RGB scart output, I was intending to use this with my projector because of the progressive scan so it's not really a problem for me, however without a component display device this does become a problem...

Below are quotes from the thread about dvd audio (cut & paste job, sorry!), it seems it is a feature, perhaps it would be worth posting and asking someone who has one if this is the case.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bonzobanana

Trader Rating: (0)
Those full specs don't mention dvd audio or dvd audio capble sound resolution. Yet the german site listed does and what video claimed to have reviewed its dvd audio output with pleasing results. I can only guess a-mw's own spec sheet is out of date slightly.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

24-02-2004 12:14 PM

mylo

Trader Rating: (17)

It's a very nice looking player. I ordered one on Tuesday and it arrived Wednesday. Not bad considering I paid for std delivery.

The O/S menu has settings for DVD Audio so it is supported. I don't yet have a disc to test it with though. The component output produced a picture equal to that of my Toshiba 330 during a quick test last night. This players has more setting menus than I've ever seen before, you can tweak nearly everything. The inside of the unit is extremely neat and the quality of construction looks just about as good as any circuits I've encountered ( I am in Avionics Manufacturing). The multi region mod was pretty straightforward thanks to the above post. I tried regions 1 , 2, 4 without problems and an RCE disc. I will do some proper testing with all supported formats this weekend.

All in all a very competent player so far and stunning to look at for the silly price.

Cheers Mylo

Originally posted by Games Guru
Gavan, call me stupid but are you sure xbox can't read DVD-A?

I know if you mod it then it can read divx, so can you mod it to read dvd-a?

My dvd player can only read the dts track like you said, and I can't be arsed to fork out for a dedicated dvd-a player, unless there is a very good and very cheap one (-£100)

It's completely impossible to play the 'full' DVD-A track as they have up to six seperate channels of sound (5.1) with sampling rates going as high as 192kHz with 24 bit resolution. The XBox simply doesn't have the necessary hardware to render this into analogue sound and there's no standard for sending the bitstream down an S/PDIF connection into a suitable external decoder like there is for DTS and DD.

You can only play the DTS or DD track that is included on most releases just like a regular DVD player.

Gav

Originally posted by CMcK
So far I've found CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-r and DVD-RW to be OK on my Xbox. And it's one of the original models. I haven't tried +R or +RW but I really don't have any need for them either.

Seems to depend on the model of DVD reader in your box. I've seen other posts on Usenet where people couldn't even read CDRW. Plus some people are saying that they can play DVD+R.

I really don't understand why my box has a problem with DVD+R when it plays +RW (and -R) fine.... Bizarre.

Gav

Cheers lads!:D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom