1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's Plasma reliability like?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by hartside2, Jan 25, 2003.

1. hartside2

hartside2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking about a Panasonic TH-42PW5B and I'm not sure about Plasma tv reliability. £3000+ is a lot of money to spend if it keeps going wrong.

What's everyones experience of reliability with Plasma TV in general?

Can they be insured against breakdown or is the cost astronomical?

2. hartside2

hartside2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone?

3. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Anything You buy could break down, but check your contents insurance policy as items are usually covered by it.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    Hartside2

Plasma Display and PlasmaTV's are possibly the most reliable consumer products being sold - hence the In Home warranties being offered by the manufacturers.

The fault rate on plasma products is very low - of course you could be unlucky and get a duff one.

And please keep in mind that no manufacture guarantees any panel to be free of defective pixels.

Best regards

Joe

5. hartside2

hartside2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. What is an acceptable or rejectable amount of pixel loss? By that I mean when will a manufacturer replace as a result of loss of pixels?

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    hartside2

Each manufacturer has its own set standards for stuck or dead pixel defects.

Once you narrow down your choice of display you should look at these issues carefully with your supplier - this also applies to any extended warranties you are being offered; the extension may have differing rules from the first year as supplied by the manufacturer.

Best regards

Joe

7. DaveCheltenham

DaveCheltenham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Joe - I don't doubt what you say for a moment but how are they achieving this? With such a relative high power and complicated device with many connections and components, it seems contrary to expectations (mine at least).

8. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58

Is this the case ? I have read that the high cost of Plasma panels is due to a 50% defect / rejection rate in the factories (Main problems being Defective glass, more than 9 dead / faulty cells and many manufacturers reject screen etc....) This pushes the costs up massively. But the strict quality control is meant to pay off with few defective units getting through to punters.

I have had two faulty panels all be it a "Budget" model. One with a faulty "Wire Driver" the second with a weird flicker effect at the sides of the screen.

They were quite happy to take these back sight unseen after I talked to one of their engineers. He said defect rate or "DOA" screens was only about 1% which seems very good to me. He seemed to know what he was talking about. He did say that extended warranties were essential though as any fault or problem with the panels glass mean it is a bin job.

Personally if they last five years I will be more than happy, amazed in fact.

9. Mr Rob T

Mr Rob T
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There is a difference between manufacturing faults (such as a minimum number of acceptable dead pixels) and the reliabilty of a product. Just because a large number are rejected for stuck/dead pixels is no way related to reliabilty of those that are sold.

The main reason TFT 17" monitors were so much more expensive (about a year ago) than 15" ones was it was much more difficult to get a 17" panel without defects than it was 15" panels. The reliabilty of LCD panels for both 15" and 17" ones are excellent.

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    Dave

I'm afraid I'm not privy to the whys and how's of plasma reliability but from my own experience with Pioneer and Panasonic they have been far far less hassle than any other product we have sold; hired or used on a daily basis over the past ten years.

Possibly it has taken the manufacturers by surprise too! Other than one faulty power supply back in 1998 and one overheating Media Box on a very early HDE I have never had to send a display back to Pioneer UK for service.

Lets hope it continues that way!!!

Best regards

Joe

PS HarrisUK - I think the production fault rate has been used as a bit of a red herring; I think its got more to do with the enormous cost of building a plasma production line and the still relatively low world sales of these devices that keeps plasma pricing high.

11. DaveCheltenham

DaveCheltenham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Thanks Joe - Very impressive on the Pioneer UK front. How does that compare with Panasonic UK as they along with Pioneer seem to be well regarded and popular with the home use community?

I also note you are using a Pioneer yourself at the moment which should also say something in view of your great experience.