What's out there that beats the Arcam DV79 ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Zootop, May 1, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Zootop

Zootop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    As the title states what's out there that will beat the Arcam DV79 without breaking the bank. I figure that seeing as the DV79 is getting on a bit now that technology might have moved on a bit which it has with hd-dvd etc but within standard definition what is better ?

2. proux

proux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    DV79 second hand for under £400 is good value, but doesn't upscale the picture of course. The newer Arcams will be better but pricey, you may want to consider the DV135 if you dont need 5.1 analogue out (you can still get surround sound the usual way- digital out to your home cinema amp).

Or you could do what i did and get a second-hand Marantz- my 9500 beats the DV79 in picture, matches it in sound, and also has excellent SACD replay. Newer 9600 can do 1080p, and 7001 is probably almost as good but more budget-friendly.

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    There are still a couple of brand new DV79s going for £595, although they may be gone by the time you read this.