1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's NTL Digital like on a Hitachi 43" rear projection??

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by zsaddique, Jan 6, 2002.

1. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering if any users out there are watching NTL Digital on their 43" (or 55"!! :eek:) Hitachi Illumina television?

If so, what's it like? Enjoyable? Flawless? Or am I in for a shock? I know it's superb for DVD's so I'm just trying to decide whether it'll be ideal as a television for our main room, rather than for our best room for DVD's only.

Cheers!

2. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps I was being a bit TOO specific? :confused:

Can any Hitachi RP owners plz share their opinions of the picture quality of digital broadcasts (be it NTL, Sky, etc) and let me know how happy they are with it.

Much appreciated! ;)

Zahid

3. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jus a quick bump back up.. :devil:

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    All I can say is that it's excellent on my 40" Tosh RP.
    (use RGB though)
    btw, analog terrestrial is equally as good (and sometimes better).

SVHS is excellent too

DVDs are superb.

5. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Kevo. I'm surprised analog can be that good too! :eek: I just realized that the Hitachi has only 1 RGB scart but I suppose I can find a work around without compromising quality too much.

I wonder if anyone's compared the Toshiba 42" model and the Hitachi 43" model out there? :confused:

Hopefully, I'll make my mind up soon! :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Zahid

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    It helps if you get a good reception from your aerial, which I do.
    There's no digital artefacts on analog which are more noticable on a larger TV.

7. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool, thanks again! ;)

Anyone else? :confused:

8. beng

beng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ZS,

I have had my 43in Hitachi for just over a week now and I absolutely love it.

I also have NTL digital, in the Bedfordshire area. I imagine that NTL and Sky work in similar ways, allocating bandwith proactively depending on the channel, programme and time of day. For instance, the main movie on Sky premier on Saturday night at 8pm will always look stunning. Everything looks better than any anologue reception I have ever seen. The Hitachi set renders a lot of fine detail, with very little colour bleed, especially working in progressive scan.

Sometimes you can notice a little digital blocking around footballs during a match. With a DVD player, things are just groovy.

I have to say though, the other services offered by NTL digital are just pants. The amount of times my digibox has crashed or hung is just completely unacceptable. Their interactive content is severly lacking and the less said about their customer service the better.

With three companies vying for my digital future, NTL (admittedly in the middle of a consolodated take-over) have not made a good impression. Sorry for the rant, I know this is not the place!

9. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Beng,

Glad to hear that, I was a bit scared in case I found the high compression of digital transmissions which a lot of people are complaining of will result in a poor image, so thanks for putting my mind at rest.

I agree with your comments about their poor service, it seems NTL are getting worser and worser. I was thinking about changing to Sky but they also seem to be having a lot of complaints lately too.

Thanks!