What's next for projectors? Epson, Sony & JVC's next moves

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Yes my LS10000 had superb contrast, the N5 probably goes a little bit deeper but there’s really not much in it at all. The N7 is probably a bit better again. There’s an old review on projectorreviews.com I think, or possibly on a French / German comparison, that shows the LS10000 had deeper black levels and better motion than the 9300.

Having said that, the LS10000 was rated at 1500 lumens and the N5 1700, but the JVC is so much brighter IMO it’s a massive difference. On the LS10000 I’d have to have the lamp on high mode when the filter kicked in for WCG, but on the N5 as there’s no filter I can happily run HDR content on low lamp mode and the colours still look brilliant to me. Certainly not restricted in normal comparison with the Epson.

Cheers mate.. from my research whats you've said coincides with what other ppl say too! :)

what size screen are you running?

ask4me2

Have you put a date on this dream, I think we will have landed on Mars before this will ever happen.
No, i do not expect it will happen any time soon, but if/when other manufacturers are allowed to use the contrast chip technology, i guess it might revolutionize HDR for home cinema projectors too.

3rdignis

I would like to see a dual layer projector.

Furnace Inferno

The LS10000 doesn’t have HDR so surely you were doing SDR with BT2020 so brightness wouldn’t have factored in?

Having seen the JVC NX7 compared to my LS10500 and in the correct HDR brightness setting even though mine is on an ALR screen in a white living room and the JVC in a blacked out room the NX7 was better by enough to make me switch. Although admittedly in HDR I do run in high lamp mode but then I think for HDR and 3D you should be anyway like on a TV to get the most from HDR provided it doesn’t just raise black levels like the crappy edge-lit LED TVs.

That being said I would seriously consider swapping to an NX7 for the features the Epson is lacking and being able to get rid of the HDFury with 4K/60fps HDR content but then no laser and annoyingly no automatic lens cover is a bummer and the only other laser in town is more than I’d want to pay.

GrazzaB

Hi @Furnace Inferno you’re right it was SDR BT2020 but to reach the wide colour gamut it still had to engage the colour filter. So the effect was basically very similar.

Also re. the lens cover it’s not as nice as the LS10000’s sliding mechanical cover, but to be honest it’s a non issue for me as I leave the cover off if I’m going to be watching something the next day, but otherwise just pop it back on.

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
s t
Was the Epson LS10000 really close to the JVC contrast wise? I thought the LS1000/10500 were similar to the 9300/9400?
The 9400 measures significantly less well with contrast than the 10,000, both tests form the German site Cine4home.de

When I did a lot of checking at raised APL's the 10500 was very good indeed clawing back against the better JVC's by 1% APL and improving by 2-5%. I dont have the figures for the N series this was an older JVC 9500 in the numbers mentioned above (from various sites and reviews)

Contrast for epson 9400 vs 10,000 below

Screenshot 2021-04-29 at 08.10.13.png

Screenshot 2021-04-29 at 07.50.53.png

By the way the Christie (21m:1 at 0%) is hitting 83,000:1 at 1% APL, the best I have seen for any other PJ is 8,000:1 and at 2% its still hitting 44,000:1 against 5,0000:1 o_O just need the larger house to fit it and the £100k...

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
^And telling me, how many hours per week do you spend watching something on your projector. o_O

You need to factor that in to your £100k purchase. LOL

I’ve worked out mine and it’s approximately 3.6hrs per week. :(

alebonau

I’ve worked out mine and it’s approximately 3.6hrs per week

but have you enjoyed those 3.6 hours a week ! :D

that used to be me... some weeks would go where we didnt watch anything at all...some weeks we'd binge watch :D

but last year after we got the jvc n7 we have watched more on the projector than ever ! and have put on 500 hours over 1.5 years or 6.4 hours a week...but thats not typical as equates to 3 movies a week and best we'd manage is 1 - 2 typically ..

covid to blame :D watching quite a bit at home... all those weeks of lockdown...not going anywhere much :D didnt even go on holidays ! 6.5 hours a week is still not a lot ... but way i see it id rather quality over quantity and as long as we are enjoying it is all worth it :)

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
I’ve done 780hrs in 27m so about 6.5 per week....

If you kept the Christie for 10 years then this is £250 an hour or £500 a film 😳

Deevad

Novice Member
Hi .

I'm really interested in this topic. I'm going to buy epson tw9400 for my living room with an alr screen.

It's going to be my first projector. My only concern is buying it if a new one from epson at the same price range arrives a month after.

That's what holding me right now as I don't want to regret my purchase...

Do you guys know if there is a recurring cycle of new products at epson ? If yes, are we close to it ?

Thanks for your help

Superhans

Hi .

I'm really interested in this topic. I'm going to buy epson tw9400 for my living room with an alr screen.

It's going to be my first projector. My only concern is buying it if a new one from epson at the same price range arrives a month after.

That's what holding me right now as I don't want to regret my purchase...

Do you guys know if there is a recurring cycle of new products at epson ? If yes, are we close to it ?

Thanks for your help
You don’t traditionally get projector news until September so I’d hold off until then at least.

Even if new models are announced I doubt there will be much availability until next year.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung HW-Q950A Soundbar Review coming soon to AVForums.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom