1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what's next for me..?? advice appreciated..

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by museumsteve, Jul 17, 2001.

1. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,019
    I've got:-
    1 x Denon AVCA1SE
    1 x Pioneer 939-A
    2 x Roksan Ojan 3's (Front)
    1 x Mission 75c (Centre)
    1 x Jamo sub (needs changing)
    2 x Ruark Talisman II (rears/mid)
    2 x Yamaha NSE105 - rear back (rear centre)
    2 x Yamaha NSE105 - read surorund effects

I chose the Ruarks and Roksans because I listen to lots of music on CD, DTS CD and DVD-Audio...
    Question...What's next step up for me..I love my movies...my DVD collection has now passed 500 (mostly reg 1) and I want to start to improve...I really don;t know what to do next power amps, processors etc...advice desperately needed..

2. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,019
    to clarify..I don't mean I don't know which brand etc to get...I don;t actually know where to go from here..what should be my next purchase..and obviously I dont want to get rid of the Denon as it's ony a few months old...

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    You could try a tonally matching center from Roksan (if they make one), or maybe a speaker cable upgrade?

Otherwise I would suggest replacing the Yamaha 105's with something better. Matching your Ruarks or Roksans.

4. daveaphillips

daveaphillips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good advice from Richard, the rears could be improved upon, and the centre channel is a very important part of a home cinema system. The sub could also be upgraded, as you said. This, of course, depends on the room size, but the calibre of your system suggests something special.

Perhaps a projector or plasma is worth considering if films are important to you?

Good luck with your decision!

5. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,019
    I've got a 42" Plasma...
    I changed the sub yesterday (Sunday)..I picked up a REL Q150E...couldn;t believe how small it is...
    Centre will be next I guess...any suggestions..

6. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,019
    Retro...the problem I have with the rears is the layout of my room...I only opted for the yamahas because they were flat and sit perfectly on the wall behind my listening position...Any ideas on better flat speakers..??
    My cable is all cable talk and all main speakers are bi-wired...

7. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I can think of one company you may want to consider, Artcoustic, only problem is they are very expensive and have only a few dealers (yes we are one of them).

I haven't got a price guide with me but you would be looking at around £900+ per speaker, (I think email me and I'll send u some prices tomorrow (WED)).

Other wise you could try in-ceiling or in-walls.

Hope this helps!

8. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Impressive setup you have. But is till can't shake the feeling that your setup is a little thrown together. Let's hope that the sound is nice and harmonius(not sure how to say this)A seperate stereo amp for music is a possibility.But if HC is your main thing here goes my recommendations:

A solid sub is a nice addition. But i still have the feeling that you have been happier with a Rel Storm in stead of a Q150. Or if size is important the q400 or q201.
    The problem is that the q150 is just rel's basic model. Not really a fit for a high end setup like yours. If music is important a high end sub from the musical REL ST series is a good choice for you. The sub will be excellent when you listen to stereo music.
    Another option of course is buying an extra Q150. I am not sure if this is true but REL(Logical) advice that having two subs is more than the sum of it's parts.And stereo sub is ideal.

The most important upgrade that you should do ASAP is upgrading your center. IMO the center is the most important speaker in HC setup. 90% of all the dialogue comes thru it. And good frontspeakers will not help a failing centerspeaker ruin your enjoyment.
    I suggest that you try to buy a center from the same brand or better yet same line as your front speakers. But if that's not possible try and buy a center that's of equal quality to your fronts with as close a possible a sound. And if this all is not possible...buy the center with the best dialogue that fit in with your fronts.
    (maybe the Kef model100)

A third upgrade is your rears. I think the yammys are OK basically. But i think buying a pair of Bi/Dipole speakers for your rears. This will give a better surround diffuse effect, while your yammys still provide the direct rear effects.
    The models i'd suggest you checkout is the Mission 77DS or the dipole from Kef.

BTW how can you hook up 9 speakers to your Amp?!? Unbelieveble? Does the amp have 9 seperate poweramps?

Of course upgrading the cables is a good idea..but i can't believe you're using cheapones any way. And believe me if you really want to upgrade ALL your cables it will be a VERY expensive excercise.

MAn looking at your setup...after you have done all this.
    Your last upgrade should be buying some Lazy Boys with build in massageoption. These are ugly but really great chairs. No cinema will have a better seats than your own home theater.Just relax and enjoy your hopefully well spent money.

Damn i am a littel jealous. What a great setup.

PS Do you have a wife/GF/mother?
    Or are you just a millionair with a seperate home theater room?

9. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,019
    hey tan,
    appreciate your response..
    The Denon allows three sets of rear/mids..mains surround effects and back (rear centre)..there is an option to swicth between them but for general movies I leave them all on (especially for ES/EX)..
    I originally got the Roksans because I was a real stereo lover..but since getting into DVD I very rarely listen to it..but I do listen to DTS/DVD-Audio..I'm not sure if I can run 2 subs form the amp (maybe someone can correct me)..my cabling is fairly decent as are my interconnects..
    I really dont know what centre to look at as Roksan dont make one..any suggestions very welcome..
    I'm fortunate enough to have a very understanding lady...we chatted and decided that I could convert our dining room into my little movie/games room..everything is black even the walls and ceiling and she even doubled lined my curtains (after dying them black)..
    Anyway, the system is a bit mix n match as I have spent the past couple of years changing bits here and there..I'm very attached to my Roksans..and only recently (2 months ago) changed my Yamaha A1 for the Denon (mainly for ES)..
    So it looks like centre is next...I could probably find a budget of around £500...suggestions please..and I'll start looking..
    by the way...love this board...