Whats next for Epson?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
So finally JVC & Sony have shown their hands for PJs.

We're left with Epson. Where do people think Epson will go from here?

Do they ditch LCD and go laser?

I personally think out of every brand going laser, I do not feel Epson need to due to their extremely competitive bulb prices. I think the only reason I'd want them to go laser is for contrast performance increases and if it makes the transition to 4K easier. However, the last laser projectors Epson released were far from the light cannon's we're used to.

Having recently used an Epson in Dyanmic mode for HDR with DTM on a 150''+ and 165'' 2:35:1 screen.. I'm not realising the importance of lumens.

I personally would love for them to crack 4K, increase lumens, DTM AND increase contrast performance.

Epson have a pretty massive price range to do this. They can release two tier's models if they wanted as JVC have left the buiding apart from the N5.

3rdignis

Dual layer LCD
DTM
4 way pixel shift?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Dual layer LCD
DTM
4 way pixel shift?
You think so?

I am starting to think Epson will likely just increase the pixel shift further. I just hope they provide some meaningful tangible data so that we can realise and see an improvement from 9400 & 9300 series re: pixel shifting quality if they do this because playing video games on my 9400 and 9300, I am not convinced my e-shift standing up to native lens at the moment.

Dual Layer LCD... what will this involve. I'm not clued up but will it result in light loss?

3rdignis

Add an extra LCD panel on the fourth side of the optical block for luminance only, at a pixel level.

No need for an iris, how much it affects brightness I don't know.

e.g. 1 layer contrast 10,000:1
2 layer 100,000,000:1 theoretical

markymiles

Distinguished Member
Maybe i'm becoming a grumpy old man. But haven't we done this conversation to death on various threads. Do we need another :rolleyes:

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Maybe i'm becoming a grumpy old man. But haven't we done this conversation to death on various threads. Do we need another :rolleyes:

Yup, because JVC have now shown their hand so it gives us some clear indication of where EPson can go and budgets.

If you don't want to discuss it, you can just not click on it lol

3rdignis

Seems an open LCD panel passes 90% light.

ti33er

I just want a native 4K panel, sick of E-sh*tf

Harold88

Dual layer LCD
DTM
4 way pixel shift?
This is exactly what I expect from them!

Native 4k chips are way too expensive and will put Epson in 4000+ euro and if you add a laser on top of that it can be even 5000+ so ... no thanks!

On the other hand a 4X shift will be nice as the 3X shift brought by the last update already makes a 4k movies a little better in terms of details.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom