• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Whats next and when??

Moogle

Distinguished Member
Anything would be rumour and speculation right now as MS have not revealed anything of their future plans yet. Consoles normally have a 5 year lifespan which would mean the 360 would come to the end of it's in November 2010. Whether MS will release a new console at that time is anyones guess. They may hold off a little longer and make sure the 360's successor does not have the same design and performance issues.

1981scott

Standard Member
yeh i hope they sort out the all the issues the 360 has,do ps3s suffer the same faults ie breaking all the time??as i dont own a ps3 and hav no plans to buy one i was just wondering??

Moogle

Distinguished Member
PS3 can and do break but their failure rate is nowhere near that of the 360. The overall percentage is far smaller. It's quite ironic as in the days of the last generation it was the other way around with PS2's failing a lot more then original Xbox's.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
PS3 can and do break but their failure rate is nowhere near that of the 360. The overall percentage is far smaller. It's quite ironic as in the days of the last generation it was the other way around with PS2's failing a lot more then original Xbox's.
luck of the draw, my brothers on his 3rd ps3 in a year, yet my original release xbox is still downstairs wirring away.
anyway, i dont think they will release in 2010, as the xbox 360 is still going strong with sales. the only problem is there doesnt seem to be big games coming out for either console soon

Dinky Dragon

Prominent Member
Microsoft actually went to the drawing board with the next console before the 360 had launched. They have also stated that they'd like it to using silicon chips once the hardware is effectively compatible with console design.

As a benchmark, silicon chips are expected to make it to market later this year.

I think Microsoft will release this next console around late 2010, this (I think) will give them time to produce custom silicon hardware which they intend to utilise for their console .:lesson::D

D

Deleted member 92943

I have a feeling that Microsoft are going to fix all the issues they had with the 360 and release a truly amazing console

Dinky Dragon

Prominent Member
I concur ...:smashin:

Whatever they create I also have a feeling that it will beat the next Sony machine into submission . I think Playstation dies with the PS3...

Hella is exciting backing the console with enough cash to stretch to the moon and back several times (True Fact):rolleyes::clap::lesson:

Moogle

Distinguished Member
I concur ...:smashin:

Whatever they create I also have a feeling that it will beat the next Sony machine into submission . I think Playstation dies with the PS3...

Hella is exciting backing the console with enough cash to stretch to the moon and back several times (True Fact):rolleyes::clap::lesson:

Very premature viewpoint to say the least. :rotfl:

I wouldn't count Sony out given their experience in console development and the fact that whilst not as rich as MS certainly are already developing their next console which has just as much potential of being great as Microsoft's effort. Competition is good as well as healthy for the market and if Sony were to pull out of the console market then that would only make MS complacent in the future instead of striving to make their console the better choice. :lesson:.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
I think we're going to have to by very careful not to expect too much from the next gen of consoles, the current economic climate isn't one in which Microsoft or Sony can heavily subsidise the hardware like they have before. I suspect they'll have to be a bit more realistic (ala Nintendo) with their hardware ambitions and think outside the box a bit more (ala Nintendo). I'm not a nintendo fan and I think the Wii is a dreadful console but in terms of business they've slaughtered MS and Sony this generation and unfortunately I think that means we aren't going to get another PS3 next time round but something more evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Stereoscopic gaming will be the next big advance I suspect . The first 3D games will surface late 2010 breathing another year to 18months of life into the current gen consoles. This will give MS and Sony some extra time for the economic market to settle down etc. I very much doubt the next gen consoles will output any higher then HD since higher resolutions aren't viable for the domestic market IMHO. I'm not even sure that gameplay will advance massively. Far more likely that the emphasis will be on digi-delivery of games direct from publishers to consumer or perhaps games running direct from mass servers. Basically anything they can do to stifle the 2nd hand game market. I wouldn't be surprised if we started to see online tournaments you can enter directly from a console dashboard or XMB. I doubt Sony or MS will want to be involved in allowing the consumer to gamble money on video game matches but they may license/contract it out to someone. Gamers will then be able to stake cash on deathmatches or races or whatever against other players online.

shagaboopon

Prominent Member
I'd say there is a very good chance no 360 successor will be released until 2011 at the earliest, also its unlikely to suffer any hardware problems. Microsoft rarely make the same mistake twice.

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Being utterly selfish I'd hate that (I don't see with stereoscopic vision so I can't see 3-D stuff). :(

Really ?! There was always going to be a percentage of peeps who it wouldn't work on. May I ask why ? A friend of mine is colour blind and he very rarely can see the effect. TBH I don't think 3d games will be that groundbreaking (and I suspect you won't be able to play them for extended lengths of time) but will be around just in time to prolong the current gen consoles.

D

Deleted member 92943

and will be deliverd by the tooth fairy and will come with a life time prommis to never break down

im holding my breath as i type :suicide:

I don't think they'll make that mistake again. They rushed the 360 to market because the PS3 was going to launch around the same time. Because the PS3 didn't get released until at least a year later, i don't see SONY dropping PS3 support so quick which will give Microsoft the opportunity to comfortably release a new console again before the competition.

I'm not kidding but i'd like a 1TB Hard Drive in a future console.

I think Microsoft will have FULL backwards compatibility of 360 games on the console with most XBOX 360 game also being downloadable from the marketplace on day one.

Also, i wondered whether because they are going after 2 different Markets (hardcore and casual) that they could do 2 different OS in one console?

They would both be upgraded together as a single OS but what you would have is that you turn on the console and you have a next gen version on the old Dashboard. Nothing too fancy but keeps hardcore players happy.

Hold down the Power button on the controller for say 5 seconds and it completely swaps the OS to the other version which is like new Current look with Avatars ect Which the casual market will love with a much easier on the eye menu system

runam0k

Prominent Member
Also, i wondered whether because they are going after 2 different Markets (hardcore and casual) that they could do 2 different OS in one console?

They would both be upgraded together as a single OS but what you would have is that you turn on the console and you have a next gen version on the old Dashboard. Nothing too fancy but keeps hardcore players happy.

Hold down the Power button on the controller for say 5 seconds and it completely swaps the OS to the other version which is like new Current look with Avatars ect Which the casual market will love with a much easier on the eye menu system
It's an interesting idea but I'm not sure anyone really wants the old dash. I consider myself pretty hardcore and I actually like the new dash. Okay, the avatars are pointless (until the first proper avatar fighter/shooter is released :D), but the dash itself is much better looking, quicker, easier to navigate, etc. There are some things I'd change, but all in all, I'm happy with it.

Chrisoldinho

Prominent Member
It's an interesting idea but I'm not sure anyone really wants the old dash.

I agree it's an interesting idea, but like runam0k I also prefer the new dash much more than the old dash and think having to hold down buttons to access a new dash etc would only confuse none hardcore gamers who just want to turn on the console and play.

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Next gen dashboard needs to have "minority report" style control :cool:

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
According to Ubisoft they are recruiting and starting work on the next consoles for launch anywhere from 2011-2012.

I think they said they are guessing what the hardware will be, but they are fairly confident on the specs, so I expect MS .etc. have given them a good idea.

Aside.

I was on PS3 number 3 after 3days.

Bilbob

Prominent Member
For launch date. suspect 2011. I was onboard with 2010, but as said, the current economic climate may make this impossible so soon.

Agree too about the ahrdware design. Expect NO flaws on the new one... reliability will be very good from day 1.

Steroscopic games? Nope, certainly not the norm by then at any rate. You will need to double all teh GFX processing power at a stroke just to provide that, and double much of the cpu power too.

I would also say that cetain key developers (say, Epic, poss Bungie, and some first party) will already have a good idea of where specs are heading, and may even have very early dev hardware running. Don't forget, to get software out on day 1, will take a year to develop for. If it were to launch at end of 2010, hardware specs would need to be nearly finalised by now... i can't see that, but I do think they have a strong idea.

xox Godders xox

Prominent Member
Hillskill said:
Really ?! There was always going to be a percentage of peeps who it wouldn't work on. May I ask why ? A friend of mine is colour blind and he very rarely can see the effect. TBH I don't think 3d games will be that groundbreaking (and I suspect you won't be able to play them for extended lengths of time) but will be around just in time to prolong the current gen consoles.
I have a squint so my eyes work independantly of one another. You wouldn’t notice it if you saw me (unless I was really tired) and my vision is actually pretty good, I just can’t see 3-D stuff.

Last edited:

Chrisoldinho

Prominent Member
I'm going for Fall 2011 as the release date for the new one.

2010 as others have said is probably too much to ask for in the current economic climate, also I really don't think we'll see a PS4 until 2013 so MS have time to choose the right moment.

Fall 2011 also sounds about right as by then they will of made a decent profit from the 360.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom