What's new on UK streaming services for May 2022 - news discussion

Obi-Wan definitely top pick this month. I'm also looking forward to Night Sky, The Essex Serpent and Prehistoric Planet.

Once again Apple TV leading the way leading the way by the looks of it.

I'm a big fan of Bosch, but I'm far from happy about it being on that bloody Amazon service with all the adverts.

Tokyo Vice is excellent but wouldn't really recommend on the basis on all the loose ties it leaves hanging and especially with no confirmation of a 2nd season yet, will be tuning in for Tehran Season 2 though apart from that the only other decent thing I can spot is Tommy.

I'm a big fan of Bosch, but I'm far from happy about it being on that bloody Amazon service with all the adverts.
I don’t understand Amazon’s logic here. Bosch was/is only available via a Prime sub., so why offer it only with ad. breaks? As much as I want to see it, I’m not going to sit through chunks of unskippable ads. I have other stuff demanding my attention without ads. rubbish.

Can't wait for S2 Tehran.

Looks like a good month, it's rare that I see more than one or two titles that I like the look of, but there's quite a few I fancy this month; Obi-Wan, Wu-Tang, Me & Earl, Roadkill, What's your number etc.

We're looking forward to Bosch too. How intrusive are the adverts on FreeVee? Are they just at the start of the programme or peppered throughout?

Anyway I'm also pleased that NYPD Blue is coming soon. Not sure if I can manage to watch all of it (again) before my subscription runs out though... :blush: :rotfl:

The Book of Boba Fett destroyed the character, it was awful. I really hope kenobi knocks it out of the park.

Strong line up as usual from Apple. It may well be the best streaming service around at the moment.

And I had no idea Kids in the Hall was coming back. I'm squishing your head! I'll give it a go for sure.

And obi-wan, well let's hope. Boba was a bit of a dud.

I’ve never seen a single advert on Amazon Prime. Which Amazon service are you meaning?

Regards,
James.

Last edited:
I’ve never seen a single advert on Amazon Prime. Which Amazon service are meaning?

Regards,
James.

They have a new one that was branded as IMDB TV, but they've changed it to something else now whose name alludes me.

Have a search for Bosch Legacy, and where it says "included with Prime" it will say something similar with the name of the new channel.

The Book of Boba Fett destroyed the character, it was awful. I really hope kenobi knocks it out of the park.

I agree. It had interesting moments and looked great, but it’s not the same Boba Fett from the movies. I wanted to see a tough bounty hunter who’s only motivation was his pay check. Rather than a saviour ridding his town of corruption. It was the exact opposite of what I wanted to see from Boba Fett. They missed an opportunity of cleverly depicting a bass ass anti hero.
Regards,
James.

I agree. It had interesting moments and looked great, but it’s not the same Boba Fett from the movies. I wanted to see a tough bounty hunter who’s only motivation was his pay check. Rather than a saviour ridding his town of corruption. It was the exact opposite of what I wanted to see from Boba Fett. They missed an opportunity of cleverly depicting a bass ass anti hero.
Regards,
James.
Well he's a Disney character now. I can't really see them green lighting a show or movie where the protagonist is actually the antagonist.

Well he's a Disney character now. I can't really see them green lighting a show or movie where the protagonist is actually the antagonist.
True, at least not without some form of redemption.

I do however think that Boba Fett would have been better utilized as a side character/cameo. A lot of his appeal was his mystery, the more you add the more you end up taking away. Having him pop up in the Solo movie or even the Obi-Wan series where he could bring an element of danger to proceedings would have been a better way to use him.

We're looking forward to Bosch too. How intrusive are the adverts on FreeVee? Are they just at the start of the programme or peppered throughout?

Anyway I'm also pleased that NYPD Blue is coming soon. Not sure if I can manage to watch all of it (again) before my subscription runs out though... :blush: :rotfl:
They seem to pop up at random intervals and not even at a convenient break point. I’ve not managed to find a way to block them with PiHole either.

Thanks for that info.

We have to tolerate randomly timed adverts interrupting the Formula E coverage on YouTube so unfortunately we're already used to this kind of disruption. :(

Bobba Fett was originally a small role, but intriguing. Disney were the only people willing to take on his story, ( or the only people with enough funds to secure the rights), they went with the character that Clint Eastwood played many times, the saviour of a small persecuted community. This was inspired by the seven samurai. It may have been more interesting to go gritty, but there's no way Disney would have green lit that. I at least enjoyed it, even though it maybe went in a safer direction. Could have been more, but at least it got made. Family appeal brings in a greater audience. Stomping on the heads of his victims, whist he counts his bounty credits, wouldn't go down well with the parents of younger SW fans!
Id like to see more gritty Dredd, but getting that funded isn't easy. Strontium Dog has potential to do the job of morally dubious violent bounty hunter, but whose going to risk backing that?
Regards,
James.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom