What's new on Sky and NOW UK for December 2021

clnthl

You've missed off 'A Boy Called Christmas' which the trailer looks amazingly magical for!

Andy Bassett

Standard Member
Staff member
You've missed off 'A Boy Called Christmas' which the trailer looks amazingly magical for!
Hi clnthl,
A Boy Called Christmas was included in the Sky November roundup since it comes out on the 26th Nov, though you're right, it could have been included this month too given its seasonal nature. It's showing on Netflix outside the UK from 24th Nov I believe.

CaroleBaskin

I guess Andy doesn’t know. Anyone know if the content is homegrown by Sky, or is it simply purchased from HBO etc and labelled as homegrown?

Andy Bassett

Standard Member
Staff member
@Andy Bassett Home grown by Sky or purchased from HBO?
Hi CaroleBaskin,
Thanks for your query. It's not always clear to be honest whether Sky creates a project from the ground up, commissions it from another company or simply comes in at the last minute and buys it for distribution. In any of the above scenarios, I'd imagine they'd feel justified in slapping a 'Sky Original' label on it. It's largely the same with the likes of Netflix and Amazon Prime Video too.

As far as this month's selection goes, none seem to have a sole 'Sky Studios' production credit, so most will have been commissioned from other production outfits including:
A Boy Called Christmas, which is produced by Netflix and Studiocanal (with whom Sky has a deal, hence it's Sky in the UK and Netflix elsewhere).
The Amazing Mr Blunden - Bought in from Adorable Media.
A Christmas Number One - Bought in from a number of production companies.
Last Train to Christmas - Bought in from a number of production companies with Sky Cinema as worldwide distributors.
Landscapers - Bought in from a number of production companies and distributed by Sky Atlantic and HBO Max
And Just Like That... is an HBO production.
Yellowjackets and Chucky are bought in from US producers.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Plektrum

Unfortunately Netflix labelling things as ‘Netflix Original’ set off a bit of a trend and now every bloody channel or streaming service uses it even if it’s never clear whether it’s a self produced, a licensed 3rd party title or something they just have a territory for.

Out of the stuff above I believe Landscapers is the only one that came from Sky Studios (NBCU are also distributing it worldwide as they handle all sales for Sky Studios)…

In regards to the ‘original’ movies, Sky essentially operate like an other theatrical or DVD distributor in that they acquire all rights for a territory (unless they’re on board at the beginning) and they just opt to exploit them themselves… Studiocanal for instance financed A Boy Called Christmas but opted to sell the film to Sky who will now handle everything for the U.K as distributor.

I have now noticed Sky are being a bit more distinctive in their branding also using ‘A Sky Exclusive’ for their HBO output and other licensed titles.

clnthl

Hi clnthl,
A Boy Called Christmas was included in the Sky November roundup since it comes out on the 26th Nov, though you're right, it could have been included this month too given its seasonal nature. It's showing on Netflix outside the UK from 24th Nov I believe.
Hi, Thanks for the update, I didn't realise it was out so soon! Do you know if there is a review planned?

Andy Bassett

Standard Member
Staff member
Updated 24-Nov-2021:

18th Dec: Last Train to Christmas (Trailer Added)
26th Dec: Magnum PI S4
26th Dec: NCIS: News Orleans S7/Final

Andy Bassett

Standard Member
Staff member
Updated 25-Nov-2021: Sky Cinema:

8th Dec - The Last Bus
th Dec - Playing God
11th Dec - The Unholy
12th Dec - Another Round
13th Dec - Christmas at Cattle Hill
14th Dec - No Man of God
15th Dec - The Champion of Auschwitz
16th Dec - The Stand In
19th Dec - Hide and Seek
20th Dec - C.I.Ape
21st Dec - The Obscure Life of the Grand Old Duke of Corsica
22nd Dec - Pups Alone
23rd Dec - Think Like a Dog
24th Dec - Fatman
27th Dec - Daisy Quokka: World's Scariest Animal
28th Dec - Plan A
29th Dec - Young Hearts
30th Dec - The Colony
31st Dec - Boogie
TBA - The Croods 2: A New Age (Removed)

richp007

Distinguished Member
Thanks Andy, but that's a pretty terrible Xmas line-up from Sky.

They can barely compete now with the other platforms.

PlexShaw

I'm a bit more positive about the Sky Cinema line up as there are a few films on there that I haven't seen yet but want to watch. And I'd highly recommend Another Round if people haven't seen it (probably my favourite of the year).

Plektrum

I think Christmas 2021 was always going to be an underwhelming one for Sky Cinema due to a lot of studio releases not hitting cinemas until May or June meaning the likes of F9 and Quiet Place 2 may not be available until early 2022 (assuming they were following the usual 8-9 month window) and the likes of Dune and Venom not being released until the end of the year.

Still I’d agree it’s not an absolute disaster… they have one of the year’s best in Another Round, having The Suicide Squad quite early isn’t a bad get (though it seems like they’re getting all 2021 WB theatricals after around 5 months), they have a HBO Max original in 8 Bit Christmas and Peter Rabbit 2 is one of the biggest grossing movies in the U.K. this year so it’s about as big a studio release as they can ask for on Christmas Day… though I suspect the increased leaning on Original Christmas movies is going to be something to expect as an ongoing thing as they ramp up their content spend…

craigt1971

Thanks Andy, but that's a pretty terrible Xmas line-up from Sky.

They can barely compete now with the other platforms.
I know. I'm trying to find things to keep me with Sky as I do like the Q interface. But I barely watch anything on it now that's not Freeview and I get most of my entertainment from Disney+ and Britbox

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom