What's new on Netflix UK for August 2022 - news discussion

I'm looking forward to Locke and Key, shame it's the final season, I've enjoyed this a lot and may track down the collected comic volumes.

I really want Sandman to be good, but I'm a little anxious about it. Not all of Gaiman's creations translate to live action so I hope this works, I fear it could fall victim to the Netflix cancellation procedure long before we reach the end.

I'm all in for The Sandman. The comics are quite possibly the best I've ever read. I really hope they pull this off! Looks stunning from the most recent trailer. Very excited!

How many seasons of Sandman are we expecting to get to tell the story?

Allegedly the first season has cost around $165 million so it'll only ever increase in costs until netflix cancels it, I don't have netflix anymore but I'm not sure it's even worth starting if it's supposed to be 3, 4 or 5 seasons long?

Allegedly the first season has cost around $165 million so it'll only ever increase in costs until netflix cancels it, I don't have netflix anymore but I'm not sure it's even worth starting if it's supposed to be 3, 4 or 5 seasons long?
Well Season 1 will cover the first 2 volumes and half of volume 3 across 11 episodes. There are 10 volumes in total so it is feasible that they can all be covered in 3 seasons. Neil Gaiman has hinted that there will be a second season but nothing official has been announced.

All getting a bit samey on Netflix nowadays, to my mind. I’ve got plenty on my watchlist, but for me there hasn’t been much in the way of ‘must see’ stuff lately.

The comics are quite episodic, each volume is fairly self contained. There are also lots of side stories and many issues that have only one frame featuring the main character, or even not at all, so it kind of depends on how they adapt it. It's not the kind of series that is likely to end on a massive cliffhanger though, so I suspect each season will tell a complete story.

Locke & Key looking forward to that, shame its the last season but I presume its wrapping up the story which is good, as I hate tv series that drag on and on and potentially get cancelled with the story left open.

Updated 27-Jul-2022:

18th Aug - He-Man and the Masters of the Universe S3 (new)
19th Aug - Echoes, Limited Series (new)
24th Aug - Running with the Devil: The Wild World of John McAfee (new)

Last edited:
Battle of the fantasy shows. Sandman Vs Lord of the Rings Vs House of the Dragon.

I'm probably most interested in Sandman simply because I have no idea what it's about and Neil Gaiman knows his stuff.

House of Dragons is the strongest contender. Sandman is a new show and I'd wager most have never heard of it. I hadn't - thought it was a show about Sandman from Spider-Man!

LOTR could go either way. It's not as fresh in the mindset as Game of Thrones. Both equally a massive cultural success. House of Dragons likely to be much more R rated, whereas LOTR is going to be family friendly on the whole. You could say they compliment each other.

House of Dragons is the strongest contender. Sandman is a new show and I'd wager most have never heard of it. I hadn't - thought it was a show about Sandman from Spider-Man!

LOTR could go either way. It's not as fresh in the mindset as Game of Thrones. Both equally a massive cultural success. House of Dragons likely to be much more R rated, whereas LOTR is going to be family friendly on the whole. You could say they compliment each other.

House of Dragons carries with it the baggage of the abysmal final series of Game of Thrones however.

Lord of the Rings carries with it the baggage of the comically bad Hobbit trilogy of movies.

Sandman is indeed new but that's surely a very, very good thing, and it's by Neil Gaiman who has had recent success with American Gods and Good Omens. To my eyes it's the strongest contender. I love new stuff, which is probably why I mostly just watch Apple TV+ now.

The Sandman audiobooks are also really good if looking not to be stuck in front of the telly while the weather's so nice; narrated by Gaiman himself, and with a good cast of voice actors. I'll save the Netflix release for the autumn and binge the series then.
Maniac Tales also looks sufficiently bonkers from the trailer to be worth a dip.
Can't say anything else really grabs me.

Watched the first episode of The Sandman last night...loved it! Roll on Friday as I can't wait to watch the rest now!

There was a virtual screening that you had to sign up for a couple of weeks ago. The screening started with an interesting interview with Neil Gaiman and George RR Martin.

the most interesting thing on the Netflix list, for me, is the Woodstock '99 docu-series.
I've seen a couple of one-off docs on it before which were kind of shocking so it'll be nice to see something with a bit more depth.
The other stuff I'm really not too bothered about

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom