What's New on Disney+ UK for June 2020 - news discussion

So....nothing good then.

It's been a messed up year for sure, so cinema releases making their way to D+ are going to be thin on the ground, but honestly, I cant see me renewing for year 2, certainly not for a 12 month hit.

Looking forward to Artemis Fowl as I enjoyed the books - george

Great write-up. But yeah, Coronavirus halting production of some of the better stuff headed to the platform is really going to make D+ harder and harder to justify in the short term.

Percy Jackson 1 is already on Disney+ in U.K. same with Tarzan

This is a sign of things to come if more subs services come on line, yeah, companies take control of their content, but the offering is nowhere near as verbose as the likes of Netflix or even Prime. I've watched all I wanted to watch in a couple of months on D+, their model is clearly aimed at parents whose kids can watch X favourite movie on loop and I'm not sure that's great value..

If they released 'Black Widow' directly to Disney+, that would be a massive boost and would bring in extras subscribers. May even do better than releasing it theatrically.

I'm looking forward to Artemis Fowl as well.
Since i was planning on watching this in theaters i am fine with watching it in the comfort of my home.

I'm sharing a subscription with my sister so half the price (3,50 euro) which is well worth it to me....i'll keep on subscribing since there is plenty of content to watch (even in repeat :) )
People complain about low content on Disney+ but they do have many things in 4K as to HBO's MAX new streaming service is HD only as far as i read and it's more expensive so good value in my opinion.

If they released 'Black Widow' directly to Disney+, that would be a massive boost and would bring in extras subscribers. May even do better than releasing it theatrically.

That would never happen since it costs an estimated 150-200 million dollars.....they will release that in theaters first which is scheduled for November.

That would never happen since it costs an estimated 150-200 million dollars.....they will release that in theaters first which is scheduled for November.

There may not be an appetite for people going back to the cinema this year...

Agreed THX1138UK, there is a chance the turnout is low but i would still prefer to see this in a theater so hoping the release in November will still happen :)

It will not be enough to make their money back on production and initial marketing costs. The virus has taught while smaller sized films may work, massive budget films such as Black Widow need the cinematic experience to properly make their money back and some profit on top.

We cancelled it 2 weeks ago. Mercifully no kids so it's pointless until more adult content worth watching is released.
Netflix is on thin ice with us too, an absolute car boot sale of crap for for most part. Sifting thru it to find stuff take more time that actually watching it.
Prime would've had the boot already if not for the other benefits it comes with. The video app is dire and the additional paid content is unwelcome.
Been watching a few shows on Apple. Decent app and a few good shows but longevity is questionable.

I just got 6 months subscription free with my phone contract renewal and I really can't find anything I want to watch.

I ploughed through some of the Marvel stuff that I hadn't seen in a while but after that I haven't bothered with it.

A huge amount of their catalog is aimed at kids, so I guess it's a decent service for families. Not a lot of appeal for the "grown ups" though.

I've barely touched D+ since subscribing so unless something magnificent happens I doubt I'll re-up. This line up doesn't help the matter either.

Perhaps they shouldn't have dumped 95% of their back catalogue on the service on Day 1. Their new content budget is comparatively tiny compared to the competition (1.5 billion, vs 6 billion each for ATV+ and Amazon, and 17 billion for Netflix) and I guess they didn't have much in the can before COVID knocked production out either.

There was a lot of hype for D+ and they have a solid subscriber base, but I can't see many hanging around forever if they can't up their game. Netflix have nothing to worry about.

I just got 6 months subscription free with my phone contract renewal and I really can't find anything I want to watch.

I ploughed through some of the Marvel stuff that I hadn't seen in a while but after that I haven't bothered with it.

A huge amount of their catalog is aimed at kids, so I guess it's a decent service for families. Not a lot of appeal for the "grown ups" though.

Well the clue is in the title I guess. Disney is pretty much solely focused on kids. It's why they exist.

Last edited:
I enjoyed Maleficent and Artemis Fowl will be worth a butchers, but this list does expose the serious lack of decent adult drama. It is an easy stick to beat Disney with that it’s little more than a kids streaming service.

I do not regret signing up with D+ it is only another string in my bow for streaming that is now overtaking my disc purchases along with Apple TV. Obviously D+ has been hobled by C19 considering its launch date for exclusive content . But one year subscription to D+ is ( for myself ) two 4K BD discs and gives myself DV and Atmos, although hobled atm .

I enjoyed Maleficent and Artemis Fowl will be worth a butchers, but this list does expose the serious lack of decent adult drama. It is an easy stick to beat Disney with that it’s little more than a kids streaming service.

Disney own Fox so they have plenty of adult content to hand, but they have decided to keep D+ a strictly kids only affair. They've even gone back and censored some of their older kids' content to make it extra clean.

Disney own Fox so they have plenty of adult content to hand, but they have decided to keep D+ a strictly kids only affair. They've even gone back and censored some of their older kids' content to make it extra clean.

Not quite correct ( many details outstanding to us ) as Disney own the rights to future projects overall it seems .

I regret signing up for a year and certainly won't renew. An easy decision to make.
the will drop must watch content a year and a day/week after launch date to hold on to the day 1/early subbers. :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom