What's new on Disney+ UK and Amazon Prime Video UK for March 2021 - news discussion

£19.99 premium for a movie, who thinks up these prices?

If cinemas were open it's cheaper for two adults to go to Odeon Luxe than pay that! Only really cheaper if you have a whole family going.

I had the same beef with Wonder Woman 1984 and with the terrible reviews I'll wait for it to be included free.

Thanks Andy. Let's see if Prime Germany mirrors these titles. A lot of free to view Movies been coming onto this Prime in the last weeks.

YES! Invincible! Cannot wait.

Bit of a shame that some of this ground has now been covered by The Boys because the first volume of the comic was a jaw-dropper.

£19.99 premium for a movie, who thinks up these prices?

If cinemas were open it's cheaper for two adults to go to Odeon Luxe than pay that! Only really cheaper if you have a whole family going.

I had the same beef with Wonder Woman 1984 and with the terrible reviews I'll wait for it to be included free.
If it was a say a year of exclusivity (my god that would be awful), then it's worth it. But for just a few weeks? Crazy.

Saying that I might pay that if it was for Bob Odenkirk's "Nobody."

I cannot imagine Coming to America 2 will be anything other than terrible.

I'm disappointed.
I thought it was two films, Reya.
AND The last dragon.
So imagine my grief when the long awaited remake of the Cult classic "The last Dragon", STILL Isn't coming out.
#igottheglow
#sho'nuff
@mooperman

I'll watch coming 2 America, it should be rather amusing.
The rest I don't care about really.
I'm annoyed this becoming normal because folks keep paying the extra.

Last edited:
Yeah.. £19.99 is far too much. I can get if you were a large family ect.. But I for example mostly go alone. Ticket for vue is £4.99, petrol would cost £3/4 and parking is £1.99. So.. that even leaves me with change to go to M&S and grab sandwich + cake for the film at the Disney price. So i'll happily wait.

Looking forward to falcon and winter soldier though.

£19.99 is way too much, I rarely stump up that much for a 4K disk, let alone a movie that relies on continued subscription payments to be able to access.

£19.99 is way too much, I rarely stump up that much for a 4K disk, let alone a movie that relies on continued subscription payments to be able to access.

Is the £19.99 for rental or purchase? I'm not 100% clear.

Either way it's far too much!

£19.99 is just for rental. That's why I'm another who won't even consider paying that price. You either at least let me then own it at that price, or I'll wait.

Is the £19.99 for rental or purchase? I'm not 100% clear.

Either way it's far too much!

Both I think. You buy it for £19.99 and then rent it as part of your sub, if you stop subscribing then you lose access.

The £19.99 payment basically just unlocks access to the film earlier than it being made available as part of the standard D+ subscription (which will on 4th June). It's not a rental as there is no expiration date on it and you can watch the film as many times as you like. It does, however, need an active sub to continue viewing.

The £19.99 payment basically just unlocks access to the film earlier than it being made available as part of the standard D+ subscription (which will on 4th June). It's not a rental as there is no expiration date on it and you can watch the film as many times as you like. It does, however, need an active sub to continue viewing.

That's what makes it a rental.

As when it appears for free on the platform that is effectively the expiration date. Therefore your early access payment is a rental fee. With any rental you can watch it as many times as you like within a certain time period. The time period for this will therefore be up on the 4th June.

And if you stop subscribing you can't access it anymore, which wouldn't happen if you "owned" it.

Fair enough. I think the problem here is that, by defining it as a "rental", it causes consumer confusion because I've seen people thinking that they'd be paying £19.99 to only have access to it for a short period time once they've started it (48 hours-ish), as is typically the case when you rent a film digitally.

I do agree there, which also makes this whole thing with regards to "renting" and also having to be a subscriber unnecessarily convoluted. And unnecessarily costly at that.

If they actually let me purchase it in 4K for the £20 price, that would be a different story. But where Disney Plus is concerned in particular, I don't want to have to pay the now £7.99 to have access to it as well. That basically means for me to sign up and rent it's £28. Absolutely scandalous price, especially now during a pandemic when many are struggling. But that's for another discussion.

For me this whole renting thing during the pandemic has been a complete debacle.

Again, totally depends on what is being offered via Premier Access isn’t it?

If it’s not a film you’re not interested in seeing then yeah, you’re not likely to pay the extra. Case being with Mulan-I was personally happy to wait until it hit the service normally.

But if it was Black Widow that that was arriving via Premier Access (and it should given we’ve had to wait nearly a year for it now) however and they charge £20 for it, I’d say most (including myself) would happily pay the extra to see it earlier.

I do get that, but for me there's no difference. Although I appreciate that's just me.

If I'm not able to watch it on the big screen for £28, then I damn well want to own it on the small screen at that price.

£10 - £15 would be a much more sensible and accessible amount for a rental. £20+ is too much in my opinion, and treating the public unfairly at this time.

I do agree there, which also makes this whole thing with regards to "renting" and also having to be a subscriber unnecessarily convoluted. And unnecessarily costly at that.

If they actually let me purchase it in 4K for the £20 price, that would be a different story. But where Disney Plus is concerned in particular, I don't want to have to pay the now £7.99 to have access to it as well. That basically means for me to sign up and rent it's £28. Absolutely scandalous price, especially now during a pandemic when many are struggling. But that's for another discussion.

For me this whole renting thing during the pandemic has been a complete debacle.
I also really do not like this Disney+ approach. Whatever one thinks of iTunes, at least you can rent Movies like this for €19,99 without having to be signed up to a pay-per-month deal.

I also really do not like this Disney+ approach. Whatever one thinks of iTunes, at least you can rent Movies like this for €19,99 without having to be signed up to a pay-per-month deal.

Or how I’d look at it, I’d be paying £20 for unlimited viewings rather than £20 for a one time only deal.

I do get that, but for me there's no difference. Although I appreciate that's just me.

If I'm not able to watch it on the big screen for £28, then I damn well want to own it on the small screen at that price.

£10 - £15 would be a much more sensible and accessible amount for a rental. £20+ is too much in my opinion, and treating the public unfairly at this time.

Not sure how it’s treating the public unfairly-its not as if it’s a mandatory payment Disney are wanting.

No-one is getting to the cinemas anytime soon so if someone wants to make a one off payment in the current climate to see a film earlier then sweet as. If like yourself feel that’s unacceptable then sweet as. There’s no right or wrong here.

All I’m suggesting is that if it’s a film people want to see, then I suspect people’s opinions might sway.

If it was Black Widow or a Marvel movie I'd pay the £20 to see it at home. Raya and the Last Dragon I would have never heard of it if it wasn't going to be a Premium Access title. I'd maybe watch it on Disney + but not on Premium Access.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom