• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Whats Needed To CFW A PSP S&L & Is It Easy To Do ?

Mensy

Distinguished Member
Hey guys and girls

Im a noob when it comes to psp never played one in my life so wouldnt no where to start :(

I guess this question has been asked loads ov times and i apologies, i had a quick look thro this section but cannot really find a guide and answers to what i need :(

I got my eyes on a white slim and lite, i only no its brand new from a shop and a 2003 model.

I dont no if i can find out what firmware is already on it and what motherboard it is without buying it, i dont want it if i cannot CFW it, i only really want it to play my old ps1 games i own and to play some emulators so i can get the oldies on the go lol.

So What do i need and how easy is it ?

Any help would be great thanx :thumbsup:

Mensy

Distinguished Member
Anyone ?

rcaudwell

Prominent Member
Have a look here :- [Guide] Psp Motherboard Relationships and Compatibility List - PSP Hacks , may help you work out what you can do with which psps. Possibly a little out of date now, as I think you can use chick-HEN enabler on all PSPs except the Go (and possibly the very newest 3000`s). Still using my phat which has been going since FW 1.50 days so sorry, can`t be more specific as not totally up to speed on recent model revisions.

Last edited:

Mensy

Distinguished Member
thanx mate i shall have a butchers :D, what on earth is chicken - hen ? :rotfl:

rcaudwell

Prominent Member
thanx mate i shall have a butchers :D, what on earth is chicken - hen ? :rotfl:

The hen part stands for Homebrew ENabler (I think), you run it on your PSP (up to PSP-3000) and then can run custom firmware enabler as well to enable all the features of custom firmware on any non-pandora able PSPs.

kBm

Distinguished Member
Having dusted off my psp phat, i went for CFW, and yes its a bit of a mind field.

Best tip - watch loads of videos on youtube and you'll see how straight forward it actually is. There are also a few websites with all the required firmware.

I went for the pandora battery route (which i hard modded a original battery for), made the memory stick with some downloaded software and followed a you tube video.

Simple! :thumbsup:

Mensy

Distinguished Member
The hen part stands for Homebrew ENabler (I think), you run it on your PSP (up to PSP-3000) and then can run custom firmware enabler as well to enable all the features of custom firmware on any non-pandora able PSPs.

Having dusted off my psp phat, i went for CFW, and yes its a bit of a mind field.

Best tip - watch loads of videos on youtube and you'll see how straight forward it actually is. There are also a few websites with all the required firmware.

I went for the pandora battery route (which i hard modded a original battery for), made the memory stick with some downloaded software and followed a you tube video.

Simple! :thumbsup:

thanx guys for your reply's, i found a website which i sat and read through lastnight and had some very useful information on.
starting to understand what is what and how its done sorta thing lol if im lucky enough to get a psp which pandora works on then i think il be doing that route as its more dated and more stable (i think) at the moment :), if i do get a psp that i cannot use pandora on then i guess then only route at the mo will have to be chicken hen. im gonna get the GF to have a look at the psp boxes on thursday where she works to try and find out which model will work with pandora. This is the website i found tell's you that there is something on the actual psp box which lets you no if its hackable or not lol Is This PSP Hackable?! Allow me to Answer That!! - PSP Slim Hacks - PSP Forums

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom