1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's My Weakest Link?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by hellinterface, Feb 26, 2005.

1. hellinterface

hellinterface

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

First Post:
    The kit I currently have is listed in my Sig. You know when you start taking your system for granted? I'm at that stage... I'm coming into some money shortly and was thinking of upgrading/adding to it. I won't have much to spend ~£400 max.

My system is mostly for music, although I do like a good DVD. [If you're wondering why I spent so much on a DVD player instead of a CD player...my sister won it by doing the crossword in Q magazine...so I bought if from her on the cheap :D ]

I was thinking about getting a sub, although I've not researched much. Anyway, I've not really kept up on Hi-Fi since I first purchased my stuff and would appreciate any advice regarding my weakest component.

I was also considering smaller speakers, I don't have much room and the AE's can get boomy on occasion...I am just about to trying moving them around a bit.

So, if this system was yours, what would you do with the £400???

Cheers

2. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    The system looks well balanced to me. Within your budget I'm not sure I'd change anything, just buy some CDs and DVDs. Adding a sub could work but you said the room is small, which means a small sub and high level connection on cheap subs are uncommon.

If you want to upgrade your speakers you could try something like 2nd hand Monitor Audio GR10s. You would lose extension but should take a significant step-up in quality and free some space.

3. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Maybe something like a Rel Quake but if you have some booming, I would look at fixing this first.

Here is a quote I found today

Here’s my quick-and-dirty list of things you can change in your system to make it sound different, and hopefully better, in relative order of how much those things will actually influence the sound:

Your listening room
    Your crossover design and cabinetry
    Your drivers
    How much clean power you have available
    Inductors (replacing ones that saturate with ones that don’t)
    Signal sources, amps, preamps, D/As, etc.
    Speaker stands
    Capacitors
    Cables

http://www.perrymarshall.com/technical/jensenstory.htm

The only thing I would change on this list is to put speaker stands higher on the list.

There is of course the whole area of tweaking your equipment......

4. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'd be tempted to audition some quality standmount speakers (on some decent stands). The GR10's are a good shout - you should be able to find a used pair for £400. Maybe also try some Dynaudio Audience 52 or some used Contour 1.1s. The Quad 11L or 12L might be worth looking at too.

The AE109s aren't bad but they are getting on a bit now and it sounds as though they may be a bit big for your room.

Matt.

5. zoolander

zoolander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Changing speakers will certainly give the biggest changes/improvements to the sound of your syste but with a £400 i dont know wether you would get anything thats actually much better, it might be worth saving up and getting something in the next price bracket up...AE make good speaker and if im not wrong the 109 are floorstanders with multiple drivers? Maybe it'll be a good idea to sell your Arcam amps and get a set up like A Rotel RC-03 pre amp and 2xRB-03 power amps which can thump out 180wpc when bridged, i used to have these power amps and they were hugely impressive, would have loved to still have them now and hear how they drive the mission m53s :rolleyes: the treble was abit harsh on these amps tho but i think with a smooth arcam source it will sound nice and balanced. They'd certainly have a better grip on the bottom end than your current arcams and Rotel bass is lean dry and clean.

Exposure amps sound similar and are also very good at around £600.

zoo

6. hellinterface

hellinterface

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well thank you for the advice. That's definitely given me a few things to look at.

After moving some furniture/speakers around, I've got the bass under control. In fact, the whole system sounds much better, from top to bottom. Why I placed them like that when I moved in to this flat, I don't know...

As a result, I'm no longer bored with my system, it really sounds that much better. Wow, I'll have to learn to trust my ears in future.

I don't fancy getting rid of my Amps just yet, maybe when I have more to spend (Once I finish Uni next year). The 109s had been around a bit even when I bought them 6 years ago.

With the money from selling my AE109s, I'd actually have more than £400 to spend, any ideas how much I'd get for them? Of course, this cash is coming out my student loan...so £400 is probably quite likely to be more like £500+ ...it depends how poor I want to be come the end of term :D

Now I'll just need to decide if I want to replace them or buy a sub...decisions, decisions...

cheers

7. Commited

Commited

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The one thing for music I wouldn't add is a sub, but thats just me personally.
    Are you interested in Surround? Why not get a Surround processor (like a Yamaha DSP-E800), centre, sub and some rear speakers.

As far as stereo goes - I'd replace the speakers with some B&W 602S3s or Quad11L's

8. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I'll second that advice :smashin:

DT

9. L-J-T

L-J-T
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went through a similar thing a while ago and my dealer recommended an interconnect change. Skeptical as ever, I borrowed a £130 Atlas Interconnect (not sure which exactly but a quick visit to mountain snow and / or overture . co . uk will probably give you the details).

Worthwhile improvement on my VdH D102-iiib or whatever it's called!

As it happens I didn't buy it 'cos I had other plans and not long after, I bought a new CD player and amp for much more money, but that's another story...

But the Atlas cable provided enough more detail and emotion on my Arcam Alpha 9 CD player that I'd highly recommend a borrow-and-dem if you've a dealer nearby.

10. TB Sanchez

TB Sanchez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get a dac for your DV88, you'll hear CD's in a totally new light.