• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What's my best temporary solution?

jenam93

Prominent Member
The family and I need to move into a rented property for up to 6 months while having work done on mine.

The Mrs and I both have mobiles (1 with data, 1 without) and a laptop each with wireless (1 with G only and 1 with N&G).

What's the best solution for getting wifi in the rented place for up to 6 months?

I work from home once a week, VPN across to the US, so it needs a fair amount of data behind it. Is there an option on Sky unlimited broadband to find out my actual usage recently?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I'd just go for a landline on a one month contract, if you don't have a spare wifi router then you can get one of the laptops to act as one using Windows' internet connection sharing.

jenam93

Prominent Member
Thanks. I have been looking at the 3 MiFi deal where you pay £50 upfront for the tech then £15.99/month for 5Gb data.

Problem is, I have just been on to Sky and my BB usage is usually around 10Gb on a consistent basis.

jenam93

Prominent Member
I could but they can't keep the same number and, worse, the broadband speed over landline is estimated at about 1.0Mb :rolleyes: Plus they would tie me to a 12 month contract.

MiFi is likely to give better speeds than that and be rolling 1 month.

When I move back in I will be looking to go fibre so it is best to sign up as a new customer at the time.

I could but they can't keep the same number and, worse, the broadband speed over landline is estimated at about 1.0Mb :rolleyes: Plus they would tie me to a 12 month contract.

MiFi is likely to give better speeds than that and be rolling 1 month.

When I move back in I will be looking to go fibre so it is best to sign up as a new customer at the time.

What are you doing with your current setup/package ? Will you be giving them 30 days notice ?

jenam93

Prominent Member
30 days for BT, 14 days for Sky. Both now cancelled.

May look at signing the Mrs up for Sky line and broadband as a new customer gets 6 months free broadband when they take the landline.

They should have rolled out fibre in my area by the time we move back so this may well work if I dont find a 6 month MiFi solution with about 10Gb/month.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom