1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's my best move for my new sanyo Z2?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by fred123go, Dec 7, 2003.

?
  1. Stick with my 656 and get an iScan Ultra

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Get a Denon 2900

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Get a Pioneer 668/868 to feed pj via DVI

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  4. be happy with the picture i am already getting!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all,
    What you guys reckon i should do, i have a Pioneer DV-656 dvd player at the moment feeding my Sanyo Z2. I am thinking of maybe just getting an iScan Ultra to go with that, getting a Denon 2900 or getting a a Pioneer 668 to feed the pj via dvi.
    whats your thoughts!
    cheers
    Fred

2. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Fred,

I'm feeding my Z2 with 720p and 1080i via DVI from my Samsung HD935 and also PAL/ NTSC Progressive from a DENON 2200.

I have to be honest and say the best pic for me so far is 1080i out of the HD935 which results in the Z2 downscaling it to 720 for projection, next best is 720p out of the HD935 and a very close third is the DVD2200 via component.

There is not much in it between all standards and if I had only bought the DVD2200 I would be more than happy with the picture.

I have yet to calibrate (DVE) my PJ, these observations are based on the out of the box settings (no VB, SDE or red push etc that others have noted).

Only 1 problem with the DVI is that it can't do a 10m lead run without the occasional line flash due to interference, but others have got 10m lead run from their pc's to the Z2 with no problems.
    So I'm moving the HD935 nearer the ZE and running a 10m digital coax back to the amp for sound.

Remember HD935 is excellent via DVI put only average via component, but it's now only £140 from panther online. Its niche is its DVI output for a relatively cheap price.

DVD2200 is a true universal player and so does a great job with DVD's and a decent job with audio discs as well, but it’s circa £520 for a multiregional unit that does more that just play DVD's.

If it's a pure DVD player you are after look no further than the HD935, just don’t use it with more than the recommended max 7.5m DVI lead (the shorter the better).

Regards,

Chris

3. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah i am really interested in the samsung, i only need a 7.5 metre(max) dvi cable so that's ok. So you think that the best picture can be seen through an overscaled 1080i signal?i have heard this elsewhere as well.
    Do you know of any scalers/dvd players that output a higher signal as surely the higher the signal the better right?
    sorry i am not to wised up on progressive scan etc
    cheers
    fred

4. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    fred1213go - just to let you know that I have today sold my HD935

Having played around a bit with my Denon DVD2200 I must admit that I could not get the Samsung HD935 on either 720p or 1080i to look as good / natural and have as vibrant colours as the 2200.

I also saw very slight juddering on the 935 in Monsters Inc when Sully is in bed and the scene pans round to mike standing next to the alarm clock, I did not get this on the 2200. To do with PAL disc and signal being shifted to 720p /1080i via NTSC for DVI out.

I also wanted the Denon for its audio disk play as well and so the 935 is surplus if "in my eyes" it is not a significant improvement over the DVD2200.

If I just wanted a DVD player then the 935 is just the job and a cracking player over DVI for the price, now at £146.00 from panther.

720p and 1080i is currently the highest progressive outputs that I know of and the most the Z2 can take.

The pic from the HD935 via DVI for £146 is definitely unbeatable on value for money scales.

Regards,

Chris L.

5. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well you can't expect much from a £150 player really, i am thinking of getting the Denon 2900-read good reviews and i feel the onboard progressive convertor of the Z2 is not very good.
    The pioneer is great-if only it had progressive scan.
    Or i could wait and get the Pioneer 668/868.
    I am not sure yet, and i will have to get demos from both, hopefully on a Z2.
    cheers
    Fred

6. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Fred,

The Denon 2200 I refer to is the 2900 with a slightly more simple component layout inside and cheaper DAC's / disk transport mechanism that will if anything slightly affect the audio side of things but not the video side and its only circa £520 multiregional.
    Still does NTSC / PAL progresive with the same chips etc as 2900.

see: http://translate.google.com/transla...earch?q=cine4home&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Regards,

Chris L.

7. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are HDMI and DVI the same outputs? (I didn't think they were for some reason?).

I think the Pioneer only has HDMI.

Fred - you'd benefit massively from a progressive picture, and for that you don't need to spend masses of money on DVD players which - frankly - are too good for your projector.

There's little reason to go beyond a Denon 2200, even a Tosh SD530E should suffice.

8. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hdmi and dvi are different things, i have no idea what a hdmi port looks like.
    yeah dimmy i know but since this will be my last upgrade on the visual front i might as well get the best i can afford-hence a Denon 2900.
    cheers
    Fred

9. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My point is Fred, there's little reason to go for the 2900 over the 2200, as you're not going to notice the difference in everyday use.

10. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you may have a point dimmy, the 2200 seems to do everything the 2900 does. And i could save a few hundred quid in the process.
    i will look further into it
    cheers
    fred

11. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think Dimmy is possibly wrong in saying the 2900 is too good for your player..... but I would agree insofar as its the wrong buy.

And stuff the iscan ultra too, take it one step at a time! Get an iscan pro and im sure you will be plenty happy! (well actually i doubt you will be, but even a leeza wouldnt stop you upgrading as soon as something newer came out :p :D)

ad

12. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think the image i am getting from my pioneer is great, so getting the iscan pro would give me progressive scan without the need too change players would be great, only one question-i will input the iscan pro with a component out from dvd too component in on the iscan, then there is a '15-pin VGA-type HD connector' to output an output signal, how would this be connected too my Sanyo Z2?would it be by a 15-pin cable too a component cable convertor or something?
    cheers
    Fred

13. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    or a 15 pin VGA to a DVI cable...any ideas where i could get that from?
    cheers
    Fred

14. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's far too good for his projector IMHO :).

15. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or you could just use the VGA cable, which will look superb with an LCD projector :).

16. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Im running a top of the pile sdi player through a farjouda based holo3d pc solution...... its almost certainly going to blow the 2900 out of the water...... trust me, even on my older plv30 projector, the benefit of quality source is really hard to agrue against. You are probably selling the player short, but that doesnt mean that you shouldnt give the projector the best you can.

ad

17. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok i might start building a hcpc, if i have enough time coz i have exams soon, but i just prefer getting a dvd out and plonking it into the dvd player and voila.
    but no doubt i will start building one soon.
    Fred

18. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you are lucky fred, you could buy minein a couple of months ;)

ad

19. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    haha, i will have to do a lot of research before buying a hcpc. what are your specs ad?just so as a reference
    cheers
    fred

20. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It was tongue in cheek anyhow Fred. I dont know what im going to do, but im considering a meridian G98 or alternatives should they arise.

Basically what my machine is doing that is different to most others, it is running the holo3d card so it has the onboard hardware deinterlacing for composite/svideo/component as well as for sdi which is the ace in the pack. The rest of the pc is basically as most other hcpcs are. The thing that is going for it in my view is that it doesnt have the worries of sound cards and filters and all that lark, plug in an external source and thats about the extent of it, you barely need look at the pc let alone fiddle!

that said..... that is how it should be, but ive had a couple of dead drives in the past and a dodgy stick of RAM, so even the simplest solutions can be awkward if you get unlucky with you components.

all the best

ad

21. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fred - considering you've got such an ambitious audio setup, I certainately wouldn't recommend a HTPC, as the sound doesn't tend to be up to much.

Buns - my point is that the 2200 and 2900 are both excellent players, and give very similar picture performance. Whilst there are differences in picture performance, his Z2 isn't really going to be able to exploit the advantages of the latter over the former.

Dimmy

22. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ah ok Dimmy, in that sense you may well be right, i dont know the players well enough to say too much.

I do hope however that Jeff or Branxx didnt hear you slating the hcpc sound...... they;ll have you run outa here if they see it! :ee:

ad

23. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i would very much doubt that Dimmy. At Matt's, Smurfins, slaughterhouse he was running an Arcam DV88 plus. The pq was exteremely good, i preferred many parts of the picture too my Z2, probably because the shear quality of the player. But my point is that even the most high end players advanced circuitry and gizmos etc can display a much better picture and that was the Z1. Since i will have around 650 to spend in a few months time i might as well get the 2900, just because by spec it is meant to be better and i am sure it is an improvement over the 2200.
    fred
    and btw the audio side is finished now and it is absolutely mental!

24. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Again, you're missing the point.

If you were to compare, say, a Denon DVD-A1 and a DVD2900 on your Z2 then you'd most certainately notice the difference - it's one hell of a step up in picture performance.

The performance of the 2900 and 2200 is EXTREMELY close (I demoed them just yesterday), and the differences were only just detectable using a ThemeScene H56 Projector when you really went looking for them. Your Z2, as good as it may be, CANNOT capitalise upon these very minute differences, they will not translate into beneficial or noticable picture improvements in what is - afterall - a budget LCD projector. There's no sense to spending the extra on the 2900 in this scenario.

You're in no position to tell me I'm wrong on this, you haven't seen or heard either of the players in question.

Dimmy

25. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, but to get anything approaching descent sound quality on a PC, I'd imagine you'll need to spend masses of cash on soundcards, approaching and/or exceeding the cost of a stand-alone DVD deck, which does rather defy the point a little :D.

Dimmy

26. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok well let me see for myself dimmy when i go for a demo of the two, then i will decide if the extra 100 is worth it or not.
    fred

27. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :p @ Dimmy!

I wont argue too much cos i cant be bothered! But suffice that branxx swapped £300 of video card above thousands of pounds of hardware player.... even the likes of the £70 revo is supposed to be quite capable.

ad

28. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't doubt the video capabilities of a HTPC :). But I'm weary about the sound potential.

Fred - whilst the 2900 may not be worth the extra for the video potential in this case, I'd pay the extra cash for the aesthetics, the 2900 is gorgeous :D.

Will you be demoing them with your Z2?

Dimmy

29. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well whatever i can sort out, i need to give my z2 a blow dry, it has a dust blob. Not very clear to see but still there. really irritating as my room is hardly dusty!
    fred

30. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is why DLP with 'sealed' panels (which can't get dust on them) remain so desirable.

God Bless Sim2...

Dimmy