What's just around the corner?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Pavel, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Pavel

Pavel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Any views or information about the next advances in DVD/HDD recorders would be greatly appreciated, e.g. what will be added/released in the next 6 months?

I'd like to be able to replace my TiVo fully (used with Sky, so a full EPG seems to be the missing ingredient), which seems as if it isn't quite possible yet. But how soon before this happens?

Paul

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    DVB tuners is the big thing: this will bring with it integrated EPGs and, as hopefully, searchable listings/favourites/series link etc etc. Sony have put alot of work in on this front - the GXD500 has all this (but no HDD :( ) - but it will be late next year before we see a HDD/DVDR combo from them with integrated DVB. Toshiba are likely to be the first with the RDXS34 (due March) - but details on that are being kept secret at present. Ditto for Panasonic and Pioneer - both companies are working on products but it is all under wraps at present.

LAN ability will also be big next year: the E500 has a basic version but the next step is links to online EPGs and PC editting/authoring. Such online TV Guides should overcome your requirement for Sky listings. However I think this will be less and less important as Sky+ becomes more popular.

3. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Hi Def DVD recorders are the next BIG thing.. to go with the new Hi Def Camcorders just coming out.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Well it depends what you regard as big doesn't it? The revolution brought about by an all digital recording process will be a big thing. By the end of next year the benefits of things such as Flexible Record will have given way somewhat to 'Tivo' like features.

Nobody, least of all me, disputes that High Def is going to be great - but we won't see the first set-top High Def recorders in the UK until 2006 :( - and even then it will be limited to high end machines.

5. burcac

burcac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The here and now is the Sony RDR-GXD500 - is it lossless DVB to DVD, or DVB then digitally re-encode to DVD? Either would be excellent - I hope its not DVB>analogue>DVD internally

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Apparantly it's not - an all digital process accordingly to the press information Sony pushed out - although certainly the first Japanese models did do DAC-ADC. I have been unable to get my hands on one yet - should arrive in the next few weeks. It will need to re-encode though: DVB isn't compliant with the DVD-Video specification.

7. burcac

burcac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another killer feature has to be the Two pass VBR encoding from HD to DVD (Sony RDR-HX1000?)

I'm using a basic E55 and I use XP mode most of the time for it is noticeably better quality than SP. Flexible record is good but multipass VBR is what we really need so well done Sony...

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Totally agree burcac: when it comes to re-encoding recordings the 2pass encoder of the Sony RX900 and RX1000 puts it ahead of all of the competition. It's a feature that has been forgotten about in the many bashing posts this recorder has received.

9. burcac

burcac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rasczak! Yes for me 15Mbps recording to hard drive then two pass VBR to DVD is a dream come true, an absolute must have feature. It's the only way to a professional quality DVD. Almost too good to be true...

10. Hodman

Hodman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I recently read an article suggesting that DVB transmissions will eventually include a signal preventing recording of selected programmes (selected by the broadcaster).

I guess a broadcaster will get a discount if the trasmission is encoded to prevent recoding.
    I believe SKY already limits recording of some premium trasmissions.

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Yes - it's already extensively now in the US and it's only a matter of time before it happens here. As you mention Sky already does it on it's Box Office channels but this is quite easy to disable - but as and when we get all digital connections/systems we may find we are prevented from being able to record or limited to one copy only. Of course workarounds/cracks will probably be found - but it will still invconvienance us.