1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's it worth ??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cutes6, Apr 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi all

I am considering selling my Ellie XS 2000 - it's done around 500 hrs and in superb condition it has optional HD6 glass lenses - What is it worth and is anybody interested.

On a separate subject if I do sell it then what do I get next ?

I love crt and have an 8ft 4:3 electric screen,denon 3802 and I have a room 12ft by 22ft. I like the size of the Ellie and the fact that it's so quiet (so i'm told) are Barco's really noisey ?. I have a low ceiling 7ft 10" and these things could become important. I watch a lot of Sky and Dvd's and I guess I have been spoilt by the Ellie's internal line doubler so I suppose I will need one with everything else I buy.

Are the Barco 808's the things to buy these days ?

2. AndyF

AndyF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mike,

Jim was offering £2k as trade-in against the XS3000. Might be worth enquiring as there are serious price reductions on the 3000 at the mo'. You could re-use those glass lenses as well.

I wouldn't say the Barcos were any more noisy then the Ellie and the 8 inch jobs certainly deliver the goods. Can't comment on the 9 inchers 'cos I haven't seen one. They are somewhat more 'industrial' in the looks department though and are MUCH bigger.

You could take a look at the Seleco stuff - I didn't think the 400 was worth the extra over the Ellie, but the 500 is a very nice machine.

Cheers,

Andy.

3. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Andy

thanks for your reply, I was hoping I could sell it for more than that and I was offered a lot more than that in px with Jim but that was before that large price reduction on the 3000. I take your point about the lenses

I think what I need to do is see a Barco 808 running just to see how much better they are which is going to be difficult, is there anybody out there who lives near Harrogate who has one I could see ???

Andy as you know we have both been very busy recently so we haven't spoken much but I must get that disk off you I will call you next week

Mike

4. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike,
    The Barco 808 is an incredible projector and in a different league to ANY Ellie IMO.
    I suggest you send an email to Roland B4 and see what he can do for you as he will have units for sale.

Try placing your Ellie in the Adds section of this forum.

Eric

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    As with allthese things people are on a quest to quiten every peice of kit they have. Barco's are on the whole very quite, but we have been working on a fan mod to make them almost silent. It's a big thing in the states.

what we have essentailly done is increase the spec of the fan and slow them down but building the saftey side of the circuit so that if the temperature rises too high the fan powers up to compensate just needs a little more refining. and other things like emails and forums keep eating my time.

£2000 for a secondhand Ellie would have been an excelent price IF they were offering more then you should have lept. Nothing in the Home cinema world holds its price well I'm afraid.
    Email me about 808 roland@b4projection.co.uk

6. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's definately worth having a drive to get a look at a decent CRT, I went down to Birmingham, and it was a real eye opener. I wasn't quite prepared for the quality of what I saw.

Nick

7. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've only ever seen 2 Barcos. One - the 501, was liquid cooled & totally silent. The other - the 701, was akin to a helicopter! Had a lovely picture though, but (from memory) cost around £10,000.
    Why arn't more CRTs liquid cooled? Is the extra brightness too hot to handle?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.