What's it for.....

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by ColdKilla, Sep 9, 2005.

1. ColdKilla

ColdKilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Just wanted to clarify exactly the best use of an Entertainment PC. My plan is simply to have something that can run HD on my PV500 comfortably, so I am building a pc with a hi spec and simply a wireless network card so I copy the downloaded content wirelessly to the pc by the plamsa and then can run it from there.

I see a lot of people using them with TV cards etc etc and wondered if I should be using mine for more?? At the moment I have Sky+ and DVD recorder and 5.1 sound next to the proposed new pc, should I be running inputs thru the pc somehow if so what will this allow me to do and also will I lose any quality.

CK

2. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,685
    I'm not sure on the best viable method of inputting Sky+, someone else will help there. I think you'll be limited to composite input most likely, which would lead to a quality reduction.
    But I'd say you're definitely underusing the HTPC.

If you have a system capable of playing HD content, you should certainly be using this as your DVD player/recorder too, it should far outshine your conventional player unless is it something very special indeed.
    Same goes for CDs too, I'd say get your CD collection ripped to hard-disk, and get yourself a nice player such as JRiver Media Center... you won't look back.

Some of the DigiTV cards are excellent, you should definitely look at getting one of these if you think it's worthwhile alongside Sky.

From my perspective, My HTPC/PJ can do everything. TV, DVD, CD, Games
    I do everything with the one box, so my system consists of the HTPC, and some Amps.. nothing else.

From an Audio point of view, I just couldn't afford the kind of CD player I'd need to compete with my Soundcard (I use Analogue outs straight into power amps) and the same goes for the DVD player too.. ;)

3. richjthorpe

richjthorpe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Use a Sweetspot capture card for capturing Sky+, it's the only capture card with RGB. All the others do S-Video.

Richie.

4. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    Can't see the point of linking Sky+ it does all the trick play that we use media PCs for, but yes you could use the PC for DVDs CDs Caller ID from the phone etc.

5. OneEleven

OneEleven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a 200gb drive in my Sky+, but find I want to back stuff up to the HTPC every now and again

6. ColdKilla

ColdKilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    So a TV card for digital tuning / recording on pc?

CK

7. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,685
    I'd say so... they cost nothing really and are really quite good.

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    How about better deinterlacing and scaling using a decent capture card and Dscaler?