What's It All About....Alfie

MikeNolan

Novice Member
Okay so maybe there's not an Alfie on this site, so hoping someone else can help.

720p, 1080p yes I can understand all that, but there other things which I find confusing - like the crazy TV model numbers that manufactures use - they seem to change like the wind.
So can someone explain to me in easy terms the real benefits of having a TV that has

a) 100mHz option
b) That plays 24fps.
c) Is it worth going with FULL HD on a 46" screen if viewing distant is 9ft

TV will mainly be used for watching both HD & SD DVDs and HD Sky although some SD soap stuff.

Thanks

MikeNolan

Novice Member
11 views without any help!!

I searched a bit more about 24fps, and keep coming across people having problems with motion judder on these TV's when playing HD movies. What's this all about. I'm hoping to get a Blu Ray Sony 350 or maybe the 550, and don't want to be plagued with problems on a new TV. The wife will not be happy.

Curly99

Distinguished Member
Give it more time before bumping your thread, it was only 1hr 34min between your posts. It would also help if the thread had a title that related to the threads subject.

Curly

MikeNolan

Novice Member
Sometimes you need a bit of a hook to get readers to have a look - okay so forget about the "alfie" bit, - it just goes with the song title - but the rest makes perfect sense to me.

What are these thing all about - can't see any real problems with that title. Maybe you could come up with something as a suggestion. Maybe as a moderator, you could come up with some help too, especially as you seem to read/monitor the postings.
I was merely trying to point out that I had done a bit of research and had come up with some concerns too so that, should anyone come back, they cannot only tell me about what 24fps is all about, but also help to tell me what to watch out for with judder issues.

Now there have been 28 readings but no responses, so maybe the posting is in the wrong section and needs to go to the LCD section where people have more knowledge. If you think I'd get more responses there, please let me know.

Curly99

Distinguished Member
Or maybes you could use the search function as I'm sure these questions have been asked before. Perhasps it would be better off in the main LCD forum, thread moved.

Curly

J

j3000

a) 100mHz option
b) That plays 24fps.
c) Is it worth going with FULL HD on a 46" screen if viewing distant is 9ft
a) 100Hz (not mHz)
Unlike traditional CRTs both LCD and Plasma screens are "hold" type devices. This means that the frame is shown for its full duration and then the next is shown. This means that there is no black moment between frames and no opportunity for the brain to be tricked into filling in gap. This means that moving pictures are apparently blurred.

Combining the quicker 100Hz display with motion interpolation algorithms reduces the effect and provides a much sharper image (for moving pictures). Some TVs coming soon (Sony Z4500 about to hit the shops and a Samsung sometime next year) take this to an even higher level with 200Hz models).

The important thing is to not concentrate on 100Hz itself but the quality of the implementation, some can create artifacts and errors with certain pictures others seem much better. It can be beneficial to have the ability to turn it off and possibly turn it into a low mode that will where necessary allow some blur rather than make errors. Companies have their own brand names for the algorithms (e.g. Sony uses the Motionflow name).

b) That plays 24fps.

Films are normally shot at 24fps (24Hz). Now at times this low rate means that there is sometimes judder is unavoidable but filmakers plan for this known condition and are trained not to pan at certain speeds etc.

For TVs has traditionally been handled in one of two ways:
1) For 60Hz countries e.g. USA
Alternate original frames use 2 frames and 3 frames make the 60Hz signal.
[This produces an exagerated judder due to the unevenness]
2) For 50Hz countries e.g. UK, Europe
Film is played 4% too fast and the audio is pitch shifted to compensate.
[Not original speed]

Blu-ray does not support option (2) but adds the option to output at 24fps avoiding any of these messing about options.

Some people also regard 24fps as critical because it matches what the director intended, including slight judder that may be noticeable occasionally. This means that they turn off 100Hz and Motionflow options so that they can see the judder. 100Hz modes can make it look more like video and less like film but arguably makes it look more like the light going into the camera even if less like that captured inside the camera and reviewed by the director. It is up to your preference whether it is better on or off. Either way it is best if the signal is passed accurately so 24p input is a benefit even if you decide to have it processed (probably upto 96Hz) on 100Hz TVs.

c) c) Is it worth going with FULL HD on a 46" screen if viewing distant is 9ft
Yes

1) At this size almost everything is FHD now and price difference is small.
2) You will see the difference at least with some source material (and assuming good eyesight).
3) No scaling will be required with 1080 material but if you get a WXGA TV very few or non of them match 720p resolution so they always need to scale the image and every such process will lose some quality.

[BTW your the subject title should probably be changed to something more sensible]

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom