What's is the cost of joining the SACD brigade?

Paul Williams

Established Member
Reaction score
Over the last few months I've found that a few of the more 'interesting' releases I fancied buying were only available on SACD format and this got me thinking about the base cost of a multi-format machine. Especially as my current CD player has the odd glitch every so often. For me vinyl is still my primary source so I'd not be looking to invest a great deal of money.

Paul

Paul,

I would be looking for a Marantz 8400 if I was in your shoes.
If you cannot get hold of one, the 7001 is worth looking at as well although most people seem to prefer the sound of the 8400 over the 7001.
Sony is another option but I am afraid I am not very familiar with their productline - may be somebody else can shed a light on that.

Over the last few months I've found that a few of the more 'interesting' releases I fancied buying were only available on SACD format and this got me thinking about the base cost of a multi-format machine. Especially as my current CD player has the odd glitch every so often. For me vinyl is still my primary source so I'd not be looking to invest a great deal of money.

Paul

Paul, the 2 starting points I would direct you to are both £100 ish :

Phillips 963A & Sony NS900V. If you really want to keep it cheap that is the way to do it I reckon, upwards of £400 I would be looking at a Sony ES SACD player. I have the 900V and it makes a wonderful racket with SACD, FWIW I actually prefer hi-res DVD-A in stereo, this is the nearest Ive heard a digital medium get to vinyls fluid qulaities, but there are plenty of decent releases on SACD and for a taster of the format, I can reccomend the 900V above. A solid SACD device and pretty nice with CD too. Dynamic Turtle has experience of both machines above so hopefully he'll see this thread.

Best regards

ghislain & CJROSS, thanks for the quick responses - I have to say upfront that I really did mean base level introduction. I'd probably only be interested in a player if it was below £200. Time spent now (I'd estimate) is 70% LP, 20% CD, 10% DVD - so just to play a few SACD's an expensive player won't be an option. Can you burn SACD's to CDr?

This is all I've come up with so far.

http://www.avland.co.uk/pioneer/dv696/dv696.htm

Paul

Paul, hunt down either the Pioneer DV656 or DV757I. The latter is a fabulous multi format player that has now come right down to about £150ish on Ebay. It was £800 new. The DV656 comes out about £65-80 and is a great 'intro' if you want to get the software in first. Others in the sub £200, but once quite expensive class, are the Denon DVD2000 and as CJ suggests, the Sony.

I am reluctant to ever recommend Philips machines. Regardless of sonic ability.

Thanks, thats given me a few to look out for. I'm not going to be chasing any down, just wait for one to come along at the right price.;) I don't think I'll ever go out of my way to get SACD disc - only just got used to CD's:D

Paul

Why not try the new Oppo 981? £189.....I get mine tesday to play......:)

Paul, you mentioned that your CD player has the odd glitch, I would therefore suggest to consider buying a dedicated (SA)CD player.

The multi-player route that has been suggested here would difinately give you more than average performance in both video and SACD but CD reproduction would only be mediocre at best (keeping in mind your budget).
Owning a Pioneer 585 myself, I know what I am talking about.

Other thing to take into account, are you looking for 2 channel SACD reproduction only or should it be multichannel?

Paul, you mentioned that your CD player has the odd glitch, I would therefore suggest to consider buying a dedicated (SA)CD player.

The multi-player route that has been suggested here would difinately give you more than average performance in both video and SACD but CD reproduction would only be mediocre at best (keeping in mind your budget).

Other thing to take into account, are you looking for 2 channel SACD reproduction only or should it be multichannel?

Two channel would be all I need, indeed I have to say that until I started looking into SACD, I didn't even realise it was (could be) a multi-channel format, perhaps I need to do a bit more research - although, starting to suffer a bout of Luddism, so off to warm up the valves & play a few LP's.

Paul

Wouldn't argue with the lower end ghislain, but the CD replay on the 757I and DVD2000 is more than adequate.

Two channel would be all I need, indeed I have to say that until I started looking into SACD, I didn't even realise it was (could be) a multi-channel format, perhaps I need to do a bit more research - although, starting to suffer a bout of Luddism, so off to warm up the valves & play a few LP's.

Paul
I only ever use hi-res in two channel Paul. The 5.1 novelty wore off pretty quickly.

Two channel would be all I need, ....
Paul

Paul,
In that case my initial recommandation still stands :D

Overkill,
I think the only objective test is to listen to both solutions (multi-player/dedicated sacd player), something I would recommend Paul to do.
I went thru a similar exercise and could clearly hear a substantial difference.

Also I think it is fair to mention that the SACD catalogue is rather limited (compared to CD) but if one happens to love the music that is widely available in this format (classical, jazz), its a no brainer.
I only buy Hybrid SACD so that I can also play them on a regular CDP.

Wouldn't argue with the lower end ghislain, but the CD replay on the 757I and DVD2000 is more than adequate.

:smashin: spot on Overkill.

I for one think decent CD replay is very attainable from a few devices mentioned here in this thread, I use a SACD/CD player in one system & a DVD-A/CD player in the other, both in pretty good stereo systems. Finally reading through the comments about multi-universal players not being "good" at CD (I hope I have not read you out of context Ghislain old chap) I actually disagree, many make a perfectly good racket with stereo material. I happen to have 2, one SACD one DVD-A, but in effect DVD-V based universals. Ive also had my fair share of very nice compitent DACs and can compare what I hear in my system (to an LP12 - easy now Overkill :D ) to them - I can even listen to a CA DACMgic 2iII in balanced form into the Primare, and you know what, for £100 for a SACD player like the NS900V I have reached my level in digital replay that makes me happy - sounds downright stunning (to the point I am turning into a speakers first, amp second, digital source third preference in kit. I think there is a huge "emperors new clothing" factor that surrounds digital replay (simply look at the CD/DACs that were lauded last year and are now replaced by something else) to see that, it is more about the mindset in hifi audiophilia from the user, rather than the kit IMHO.

PS Paul, a quick roll call of long term users on AVF I know in the Hifi stereo forum that use the NS-900V are, Dynamic Turtle, Rod Bod, Timbo21, all have very astute sound heads in audio IMHO - as does old Nic above and I have seen good reports of the Oppo in other places.

I can definitely vouch for everything CJROSS has said about the Sony 900V. This is one hell of a SACD player, and when you can pick them up for £100 (I got mine for £85) it's a real no-brainer (sorry I hate that expression :rolleyes: ). I just can't fault it. In audio, and AV in general, we're always wanting more, but everything is great with the 900. The top end is so sweet. Hi hats never sound digital. They always sound just right. Vocals suddenly convey emotion other players just don't do. This player turns 1's & 0's into music. Put it on a top system, and it will further amaze you. It also has a proper DSD DAC, and doesn't convert to PCM :thumbsup:

The real question is at £100 2nd hand can you afford not to buy one?

T.

:(to an LP12 - easy now Overkill :D ) .
:D Now, would I? ;)

I think the short list is pretty clear Paul, going on the 'old hands' views.

Sony NS-900V for CD and SACD
Pioneer DV757I multi- format
Denon DVD2200 multi-format

Now, all you need to do is find someone selling locally and get a listen!:D

Now, all you need to do is find someone selling locally and get a listen!:D

Only thing going locally at the moment is a SONY DVP-NS930V which although would appear to have been well rated was just a budget machine. I do have to say that I'm not a great one for buying this type of product SH due to there complexity.

So for my education multi-channel SACD can be 'restricted' to just stereo output? I think I'll go buy myself a couple of SACD's and go listen in the new year.

Just a bit cheesed of that some of the music I'd like to buy is out on SACD only (Telarc & Opus releases) guess these companies get by on reduced sales:confused:

Paul

So for my education multi-channel SACD can be 'restricted' to just stereo output?

All SACDs (even Multi-channel ones) feature a discrete stereo mix, you simply select between stereo or mulitchannel on the players output Paul, I have only ever listened to the stereo layers.

I am sure the 930 is fine Paul, but I have never seen the groundswell of opinion that follows the 900V around, I bought one as a "tester" and a toe into SACD and have been pretty much amazed. Some Sony QS kit to me is actually Sony ES kit a year before they can get it into a ES range package, this happened with the Sony MD 920 Minidisc deck IIRC, I have a feeling what you see with a 900V is actually a 999 ES, call it a hunch about how Sony operate. Anyway check out Ebay or the classifieds here, one pops up once a week or so. Well worth the wait.

Only thing going locally at the moment is a SONY DVP-NS930V which although would appear to have been well rated was just a budget machine. I do have to say that I'm not a great one for buying this type of product SH due to there complexity.

So for my education multi-channel SACD can be 'restricted' to just stereo output? I think I'll go buy myself a couple of SACD's and go listen in the new year.

Just a bit cheesed of that some of the music I'd like to buy is out on SACD only (Telarc & Opus releases) guess these companies get by on reduced sales:confused:

Paul
DVD-A and SACD are normally offered in a variety of mixes. From hi-res stereo, which is often at a much higher bit-rate than the 5.1 mixes, to the DTS surround mixes on some discs. You can indeed just select stereo only.

I'm not all that on the NS930 tbh. Sony produced a string of great players the aforementioned 900, the 705, and 905 but recently the sparkle at that price point seems to have gone.

I would stick to the ones mentioned Paul. I wouldn't worry about buying either Sony, Pioneer or Denon 2nd hand. Their machines are pretty tough.

I have a Pioneer 656 feeding the Kitchen TV and speakers, which I bought dirt cheap from ebay. It's had a hard life, it arrived with a few lumps and bumps (what you expect really for £50 inc postage when it cost £400 new) and is in everyday use still, a few years on. Yet (touches wood!) no sign of any problems yet. ;)

All SACDs (even Multi-channel ones) feature a discrete stereo mix, you simply select between stereo or mulitchannel on the players output Paul, I have only ever listened to the stereo layers.

I am sure the 930 is fine Paul, but I have never seen the groundswell of opinion that follows the 900V around, I bought one as a "tester" and a toe into SACD and have been pretty much amazed. Some Sony QS kit to me is actually Sony ES kit a year before they can get it into a ES range package, this happened with the Sony MD 920 Minidisc deck IIRC, I have a feeling what you see with a 900V is actually a 999 ES, call it a hunch about how Sony operate. Anyway check out Ebay or the classifieds here, one pops up once a week or so. Well worth the wait.

Just seen your comment re: the MD 920. I wonder if the MD 980 I've got would be of similar design - i.e. ES kit in QS clothing? Wouldn't be surprised, as I've been astounded by it since I bought it. It's also going to get used as a DAC for my new Sony DVD/HDD recorder when I buy it in two weeks time.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom