1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's Hi-Fi? - Why they insist on plasma?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Dimmy, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's Hi-Fi's strange recommendations are always a cause for conversation, but in the most recent issue a few recommendations came up that puzzled me... (well actually include the August issue with that too).

In the august issue they conduct a Supertest for High-End A/V Speaker Packages to which the Kef Q7 A/V package was the worthy winner...

They advise matching this with an AVC-A1SR and a DVD-A1...

But why oh why do they then advise that you ruin this with a 32" Sony Plasma display???

Not only can this plasma not compete with a descent 32" CRT for picture quality (I tested it In Depth at my local Sony Centre & was not that impressed), but it contradict's What's Hi-Fi's insistence that 'Bigger Is Better' in terms of screen size.

Does anybody else agree that a 32" Sony Plasma would nowhere near do a DVD-A1 justice?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    True in fact very few plasma would an HT300plus is a better bet with that sort of kit!!!
    Guess who sent them a demo plasma and put a case of booze and a pizza in the box!!!!

A colleague of mine used to work at a dealer whose dem room was used by magazines for this type of test!!!!

"if the could get a sound out of it it got a 4star reveiw if it sounds nice a 5 star"

He said they used to turn up with a 6 pack and a half each to get through before they started!!!!!!!
    This would hinder anyones ability to judge image quality.

3. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Therefore the reviews are based on how dazzling the lights are and how pretty the blur before your face is...

Seems logical with some of the dribble they write.