What's Happening With My Laptop?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Epicurus, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Epicurus

Epicurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +696
    Toshiba A665-11Z Screen Glitch

This is a 5 year old Toshiba A665-11Z with an i7 740qm and a GTS 350m. I had given it up for dead a couple of years ago as it kept doing this screen glitch like you see in the video above. This glitch would occur only a few minutes after turning the machine on and when doing something more taxing. Recently I decided I wanted to have one last go at repairing it before splashing out for an expensive new machine as even by today's standards the specs are decent for general use.

Knowing it always used to run so hot I took it apart to access the fan and heatsink. There was a fair amount of crap to remove but more importantly the thermal paste appeared to have been applied by a blind man and had also degraded somewhat over the last 5 years. I remove the heatsink and cleaned everything off, applied new paste and put everything back together including any ribbon cables I had removed.

Now it worked perfectly for extended periods with the temperatures being around 25-30% lower than before. The laptop was nice and fast still so I ordered a 500GB SSD and, in the video above, you can see me cloning my disk. Halfway through the procedure the glitch came back with a vengeance. This really has me stumped as clearly whatever I did before temporarily fixed it. It's hard to imagine it's a failing component if I had temporarily repaired it before, although I realise there can't be many possibilities!

Any clues? Gfx chip or processor or something else?

2. GMC79

GMC79
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,189
    Yeah something has had it, graphics/mobo or screen. First thing would be to connect it to a tv or monitor externally, If the issue isn't displayed on the tv or monitor then can be sure it's just the laptop screen is knackered. at least can rule screen out then.

3. Epicurus

Epicurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +696
    Well it's certainly looking like the screen. Just tried your first suggestion, hooked up an HDMI cable and cloned the screen, appearing fine on the second screen and completely controllable while the laptop screen is still glitching out.

Does that make it 100% the screen? If so that's probably a good thing because the screen is one of the easier components to replace, although it happens to be a 3D display on this laptop!

4. GMC79

GMC79
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,189
    i would say so yeah test it more to be sure but looks that way, laptop screens are not that expensive so should be able to sort it for £50 ish (no idea about a 3d screen tho tbh). Not that hard to fix diy either few looks on youtube and ud have it apart and sorted.

5. Epicurus

Epicurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +696
    Many thanks for your help, found a couple of Amazon marketplace sellers listing the right type of 3D screen for just over £50 so not bad at all. Given I've already had the laptop in bits once I'm quite happy to have a go at taking the screen apart now as well.

Fingers crossed that gets it going again, I'll report back when done!

6. Epicurus

Epicurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +696
    Thought I'd update the thread to say I received my new screen and installed it last night. Made it more complicated than it needed to be as I took everything apart again when actually I could have done it without removing the hinges, I'll remember next time!

New screen seems to work perfectly, it's even from the same manufacturer as before. Tested the 3D and that's working great as well. Only downside is there is one dead pixel in the upper left corner, but I can live with that.

Thanks for your help GMC79.