What's happening on Sunday May 22nd?

gkpm

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Well if we're still around that is following the rapture at 6pm US CET (bible belt) time today :)

Apparently Apple is getting a lot of stuff together at the Stores for tomorrow (Sunday, May 22nd)

Unknown items under lock and key, night shifts for some of the staff today, NDAs signed and mysterious gigabytes of password protected files downloaded from corporate to every store.

Any ideas what's going on? Does anyone know if they're doing the same in the UK?

Details here: Apple Schedules Extended Retail Meetings May 22nd Sparking Speculation About Event - MacRumors.com

Hi

Free MobileMe? My guess is, preparing to launch BLB free iPad 2's pmsl. Ah, who am I kidding lol.

Baz

My buddy is working tomorrow and I'm expecting a heads up if it's anything of interest or worth visiting the store for.

That is one way of getting the sales figures of the iPad even higher :)

Yes, not super exciting. Maybe they'll finally release the UK Apple Store app, although I've been using the US one with no problems.

Assume these changes are worldwide? Anyone been in a UK store today? Makes sense I suppose to create "virtual" sales people through iPads.

asimm said:
Assume these changes are worldwide? Anyone been in a UK store today? Makes sense I suppose to create "virtual" sales people through iPads.

Pretty much they will be worldwide seeing as they were first trialled in Australian Apple stores before the US roll out. Still will pop down to Regent Street some time next week to see if they have it

Last edited:
They could just have been modified for conductive charging. I don't need any cables or anything for my Palm Pre 2 either...

They could just have been modified for conductive charging. I don't need any cables or anything for my Palm Pre 2 either...

So how does your Touchstone get power? :devil:

I truly hope it is something like that, as adopting inductive charging is my big wish and hope for Apple devices. I miss the simplicity of the Pre and Touchstone :(

"the interactive iPads aren't powered through the Dock connector. The cabling disappears behind the iPads."

The mystery deepens. You may be right dejongj, but it would be strange for Apple to be creating special inductive charging iPads just for their stores. There's only about 30 per store, so about 9000 units around the world. There's probably non-Apple patents on inductive charging involved too. It would far easier to put them in an external inductive charging case.

EDIT: This one shows the wire better, plus it's an iPad selling an iPad :)

http://www.macstories.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/IMG_0012.jpg

These Macstories photos are far better: http://www.macstories.net/news/apple-store-2-0-goes-live-interactive-ipads-and-more/

Last edited:
Hmm interesting, the wire seems to go underneath and towards the middle. Also the device seems slightly slanted looking at the shadow. Could this be a touchstone for the iPad, here is me speculation or hoping also for the iphone ;-)

I have seen quite a few pictures now (surfing whilst praying for a Blackpool miracle - which seems to be happening at the moment!), does anyone else think that the number of leads now make the displays look a bit messy?

I have seen quite a few pictures now (surfing whilst praying for a Blackpool miracle - which seems to be happening at the moment!), does anyone else think that the number of leads now make the displays look a bit messy?

Call a couple of cables messy? You should see my desk :)

But yes it does make the tables a bit less pristine. Maybe the new cables are just temporary, apparently these things were sitting in a locked box until yesterday evening and staff only installed them overnight.

Call a couple of cables messy? You should see my desk :)

But yes it does make the tables a bit less pristine. Maybe the new cables are just temporary, apparently these things were sitting in a locked box until yesterday evening and staff only installed them overnight.

I know - I can probably beat you by several bucket loads of junk, it's just that Apple stores are a number of things and one of them is aspirational, so I am sure they will tidy away those leads.

"The posting also confirms something else we'd heard -- that the display iPads use a special ultra-thin tape-like ribbon cable that does connect into the iPad's dock connector to provide charging as well as an alarm in case of removal. As reported, the home button is non-functional on the display units, to prevent people from exiting out of the interactive demo software. "

So no real wireless charging magic after all, just a magic trick. I'm disappointed :)

Detailed explanation of this and other changes to the stores here: http://www.mactalk.com.au/53/100898-apple-planning-something-3.html#post1100488

Last edited:
Nice to see we now have the Apple Store app! Another opportunity to look at stuff I can't afford!

Nice to see we now have the Apple Store app! Another opportunity to look at stuff I can't afford!

I don't see what's wrong with their website- it runs beautifully on safari. Anyway they don't have an apple store app for iPad, so it will be an enlarged iPhone one.

I don't see what's wrong with their website- it runs beautifully on safari. Anyway they don't have an apple store app for iPad, so it will be an enlarged iPhone one.

It's easier to book/cancel things (e.g. Genius appointments) on the app than on the website (it finds the nearest stores to you for example)

It's easier to book/cancel things (e.g. Genius appointments) on the app than on the website (it finds the nearest stores to you for example)

I've never found it hard to book a genius bar appointment via my web browser, although admittedly it wasn't quite clear on if you wanted to cancel an appointment

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom