Whats happened to Gracenote?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Cy Berman, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Cy Berman

Cy Berman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am the unlucky owner of a SONY BDP S580 player, and I'm getting pretty annoyed with SONY.
    First the BBC iplayer stopped working. then the Youtube app is no longer supported, now this week I can't get any response from Gracenote. The Network connection is fine. I am still able to connect to and watch Amazon Instant Video. But the system will not identify cds, dvds, or Blu-Rays.
    It has been like this since about 4th of July. Is this a temporary problem or have SONY not bothered to update the firmware, again?
    Cy

2. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,299
    Maybe a silly question...but can't you just identify it from the name written on the disc?

3. Cy Berman

Cy Berman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well, again, "Duh!" of course I can identify it from the disc, the sleeve, watching or listening to it etc. What I am concerned about is that the player doesn't identify it! In the past, the SONY would put on screen the name of the disc, a track listing and so on. With a CD, it would display the cover art, track name and timings.
    I am annoyed with SONY because I bought a "smart" Blu-ray player from them which has lost another feature, because they can't be bothered to update the firmware. Originally it had iPlayer, Youtube etc, but no ITVplayer or CH4 on Demand. I was assured that these features would be added when SONY resolved its licencing issues. On the contrary, It has lost first iPlayer, then Youtube, and now, it seems, the gracenote ID feature.