Whats gonna happen IF my ep30 breaks down in 10 years time?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Sandy 8oy, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Sandy 8oy

Sandy 8oy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi everyone, i have 2 ep30's and was wondering what my options are when they break down in say maybe 10 years time? Would my many HD DVD's be obsolete? Are any manufacturers making blue ray and HD DVD compatible player? Many thanks:)

2. craddock

craddock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I wouldn't worry too much, probably end up like laserdisc, which means many old titles will still be sought after for pretty high prices. I have 6 players (did have 7 up until yesterday plus a PC drive, I don't think I would ever give up the collection though or my so far 335 titles.

Always a market for obsolete tat. I am mostly using my now solitary EP30 for most duties, with a EP10 in another room, the other higher end players are stacked for use as and when.

LG make the BH200 which I would love, apparently easily made region free for Blu aswell as obviously being region free for HD DVD!

Also you could always be inventive and buy up old broken machines for peanuts as spares, an old trick of mine for many a year.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  3. Sandy 8oy

Sandy 8oy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You have 335 HD DVD disc's????:eek: I have about 120 HD Dvd's disc and i thought i had allot:rotfl:

4. craddock

craddock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I'm obsessed, watched everyone of them, a matter of months back I had just broke the 100 barrier and thought that was enough but once you get going you just can't seem to stop.

Thought I had stopped at 300 for good but more and more bits pop up.

Watched every one aswell, even the trash(which is a large percentage)!

:rotfl::rotfl:

OMG I just realised that I had 87 by 26th July last year, now 335, that works out to 31 new hd's a month, that's atleast one a day. Horrifying :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  5. Bald Monkey

Bald Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,084
    10 Years!! :eek: :D

Just how long do you expect these HD formats to be around for?? ;)

I hope we're buying and watching 3D-DVD in 10 years! :devil:

6. Randell

Randell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    get a PC hybrid BD/HD drive or like me a 360 HD-DVD player as a back-up. Rip all your HD's to storage and not worry about the players dieing as you'll move to a network media player soon enough.

7. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    As said, hybrid PC drives are probably the solution. HD DVD may still have some life somewhere in the world as a recordable format for data so the drives might still be produced. Or just buy a stock now in case :D

However, 10 years from now I have my doubts that even Blu-Ray will be still popular. I don't think it'll have the same run as DVD, especially when you consider how much broadband will have progressed. I'm betting optical formats will have had their day. That's not to say Blu-Ray won't have moderate success in the meantime though.