1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's going on at Sunderland ?

Discussion in 'Sport' started by HMHB, Oct 19, 2005.

1. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,967
    I'd be interested to hear from Sunderland fans why there always seems to be so many empty seats there this season, they were about 10,000 down on capacity for the game against Manchester United :confused:
    Is it a case of them charging too much these days or are people getting fed up of the Premiership?
    PS Before you ask, no I'm not a Newcastle fan :D

2. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,239
    Not just Sunderland - its North East fans in general. Look at Newcastle, Middlesborough

The reputation of NE fans is a myth

3. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,577
    In previous seasons (especially when they were last in the Prem) Sunderland have done various schemes to fill the stadium, these ranged from Kids go free to tickets for just £5. I remember seeing an official letter the geordie fans got hold of offering suchs things to schools in the area - they stuck it up on a fansite to take the p***. I have a feeling these scheme's aren't happening this season & so the stadium isn't filling.

However, I was up in the north in August & saw Newcastle were playing West Ham, thought about going but thought I'd never get a ticket on the day, turns out I could've easilt which is generally unheard of a Newcastle..

4. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    It's not just up there John. Along with those already mentioned, there have been huge empty areas at Blackburn, Fulham, Villa, Brum, WBA, and even the new boys Wigan have failed to use the 'novelty factor' to get full houses! Contrast that with Swindon in their one and only season in the top flight, and Bradford (a mate was as season ticket holder) when tickets couldn't be had for love nor money. Even the likes of Bolton, who are having another stable season, are not getting full houses in contrast to a few years back.

The only clubs getting the same gates as normal are the 'success hounds' squeezing in at the 'big five'. They aren't interested in whats on the pitch (as long as they win) so they go come what may. ;)

5. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,577
    The likes of Spurs, West Ham, Charlton still pull them in for every game. My Bro
    is a Spurs fan & they sell out absolutely everything everytime

6. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    That's why they weren't mentioned.............. Spurs are pulling in, because for once, they may do something (In recent years Spurs have had some naff gates) although that's not hard in todays prem. Charlton fans are still grateful just to be in the Valley (I don't blame them after what they went thru) so turn up regularly. West ham? Well, once a nutter, always a nutter............... :D ;)

London clubs (where they draw from a wealthier hinterland) pulling in means nothing.

7. Geordie Bry

Geordie Bry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    there have been over 50000 at every premiership home game this season

8. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Did you get that info from Arsenal Weekly? :D

For the past 5 seasons Spurs have not had less than 34,100 for a Prem game. The official capacity is (36,247). The only games I have been to in recent years where gates have been low, are a couple of midweek league cup games. Apart from that, we have nearly always been no further than 500 away from capacity. :lesson:

9. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    No, from a mate of mine who is a lifelong spurs fan, who's father is shareholder, and who also queried the clubs response to low gates at games a few years back. Of course you could call his dad a liar, but why he would I'm not sure.............. :confused:

Case of having those cockerel plastered blinkers on again mate? :D :devil:

Besides, what has the fact that the big NW clubs and London clubs (currently) having a captive audience go to do with the obvious gaps amongst the fans, in many clubs stadia, that have appeared over the last two seasons?

Is this the old ostrich trick again. Ignore it, it won't happen to us?

Warning We all though that (Arsenal, Spurs, Man yoo, Liverpool) back in the early 80's. But it did............

10. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    I don't like to call anybody a liar, but for the past 7 years I've been a member or season ticket holder, and don't recall any 'league' games like that. As I said, there were a few midweek league cup games, but not prem games.

No blinkers here. How have your lot done recently with ticket sales? I'm not asking as a joke. Genuine question. I wouldn't be so daft as to act like I knew about your football club and there ticket sales. After all, I don't follow your club!! :D

11. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,577
    Spurs sell out every midweek fixture too....I tried to get a ticket outside the ground for the Spurs v Liverpool Reserves CC Cup last season, there was only 1 single ticket for sale, all the touts were absolutely amazed & this ticket had an asking price of £90

12. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Fair enough. I continue to be surprised by Spurs fans criticism of their team (justified over the last ten years) and yet still getting full houses, but maybe that's the nature of the beast.

Our lot are certainly more cynical. Gates dipped below 20,000 in the dark days of the mid 80's.The only time I can recall that happening at Spurs was the mid 70's.

I find it hard to believe however, that Spurs sell out 'every midweek game'.

13. Steve T

Steve T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I watched some of the Leeds vs Sheff Utd game last night and was suprised to see so many empty seats. For a top of the table clash and it being a local derby I was shocked, but the commentators said that the Leeds fans were kicking back over high ticket prices.... I fear this whole situation is going to get worse.

14. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,853
    :thumbsup:
    Undisputedly the best supporters in the world.
    Please replace Suey (IMO :D ) though.

15. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Certainly from my point of view, that's the whole idea of being a footy supporter tough. Yeah, we moan a lot, but wouldn't you if Arsenal had been as bad as we have in the past. Still, you carry on and support your team through thick and thin.

Surely if Arsenal had a bad run, for say a decade, their support wouldn't dwindle?

16. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    There have been but for most games this season so far, including the Man U game, there have been tickets available at the box office up to the Thursday prior to the game - something unheard of in recent years...

John

17. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    To the second part -NO! :D I Agree with the latter part though. Still, you have to wonder how much is 'glitz factor' and how much 'loyal' support with the big clubs. Spurs, Everton (and Liverpool) have served up some real rubbish over the last decade, and Arsenal themselves in Grahams last years, were serving up some of the worst football I've ever seen at Highbury, and yet still, they all get packed out.

In the past yes it would. Apart from Man Utd, which post Munich is an institution not just a football club, all of the other big clubs suffered falls in support according to onfield performance during the 70's and 80's. Even Liverpool fans got fed up around 83' with what they were seeing (compared to the late 70's), add to that the first 80's recession, and a glut of success, and Anfield saw a fall off in gates.

For example, Spurs were getting around 20,000 average in the mid 70's, while Arsenal were getting marginaly higher at that time (both clubs were crap!), but during the mids 80's a poor Arsenal were seeing gates of 18,000-19,000 for the smaller clubs. Newcastle, with the 'loyalist supporters in the land' just about struggled into five figures at times in the mid 70's & 80's. Unthinkable now.

Or is it? With all Arsenals money being sunk into the 'emirates white elephant', Henry giving the warning signs that he's had enough of the clubs lack of ambition in terms of transfers, and Wengers blind persistence with half assed foreign players, and big trouble could just around the corner. What price a mid table Arsenal filling a 50,000+ seater? From over 30 years of supporting them I can't see it.

On a general level, add to the games current problems the whiff of recession and players could find themselves playing for half the money they are now, in front of 80's gates again.

18. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,967
    Well it's going to be a full house tonight as they have made it £5 for adults and £1 for kids. Well done to Sunderland for doing this, it's about time more of the big teams did this kind of thing.

19. DLPMaybe

DLPMaybe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    You are probably just fishing but never mind.

FACTS:

Newcastle attendances:

Capacity 52,387

51620 (767 empty seats)
    52327 (60 empty seats)
    52208 (179 empty seats)
    52280 (107 empty seats)
    52302 (85 empty seats)

Sunderland

Capacity 49000
    47,366 (1,634 empty seats)
    39,085 (9,915 empty seats)
    31,212 (17,788 empty seats)
    11,969 (37,031 empty seats)
    31,657 (17,343 empty seats)
    33,357 (15,643 empty seats)
    34,446 (14,554 empty seats)

Boro

Capacity 35049

26,551 (8,498 empty seats)
    29,583 (5,466 empty seats)
    14,191 (20,858 empty seats)
    28,075 (6,974 empty seats)
    26,206 (8,843 empty seats)
    31,908 (3,141 empty seats)

Considering the current dropping attendances and how :censored: Newcastle have been this (and last) season their attendace figures are outstanding.

20. DLPMaybe

DLPMaybe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Anyway back to the original question. Sunderland attendance figure are still relatively high. If their capacity was 35,000 they would not look too bad. I guess the problem is with their chairman trying to compete with Newcastle and building a stadium larger than their supporter base requires.

21. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,239
    • Newcastle fans really are the best around
    • Bar Newcastle fans, NE fans reputation is a myth