Whats free with sky digibox?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by happyh, Oct 20, 2004.

1. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have sky , full package, and now freeview with my new viera.
    I dont watch a great deat of sport or movies so thinking of downgrading the sky package.
    What can I receive with sky if I cancel? will my viewing card still work? Is there a minimal subscription just to keep it going?
    I don't really want to lose the service, as the signal is piped all over the house. and sky might launch a product that I do want.
    Advice please guys.Thanks :smashin:

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Just remove your smartcard, all the channels you can still watch will still be there if you cancel then add the three FTV channels (ITV1,CH4 and Five which require a card, ex-subscription will do).
    SKY just downgrade an existing subscription smartcard to a FTV card, they hope you will re-subscribe and since you already have the card it saves them money by not needing to issue a new one. It also means that a former subscriber is more likely to retain the hardware and not move to another digital platform.

Cheapest SKY sub is £13.50, not very good value but then it's not supposed to be, it exists to make the other packages look better value and for those just biding their time until the minimum term is over makes sure SKY do not lose money on supplying the free hardware.

Certainly if you don't watch the movies or sports then cancel, why has it taken you so long to even think about saving that money:)

3. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi,

I currently have multiroom, but don't really use much in the office except for sport.

Could I cancel mulitroom and have the same functionality as getting a freeview box on my office set? Then just switch cards with the lounge when I wanted to watch any sport and thus have freeview in the lounge for the wife during that period?

Cheers
    Marc

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    There is a minimum contract term for multiroom, you cancel within the 12 months but only if you cancel your original subscription at the same time (I think). After 12 months you can cancel after just giving a months notice, you can then remove both phone lines.

If you do cancel the second sub the card will revert to a standard FTV card however the sports channels on the original smartcard are tied to the digibox is was registered for, you can not use it in another digibox without marrying it to that box and then repeating the procedure when you put it back into the other box.

Perhaps getting a Freeview box in the lounge along side the SKY digibox and when you want to watch some sport in the office use the TVlink or video sender?

5. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I guess that might be the most cost effective approach.

So to make a card work in a different Sky box you have to ring up Sky? They have no issues on switching boxes?

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Not for a one off re-marriage, I imagine that if you were doing it on a daily basis there would be comment and of course there signal may not always get there in a reasonable time frame.
    I'm not 100% sure if this still works but you could use the New Installation procedure to get the box to call SKY and marry the card.