What's faulty, my HD Box, HDMI Cable or my TV

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Enclosure Blue, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Enclosure Blue

Enclosure Blue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks,

Over the pat few weeks, i've noticed a picture deterioration (Particularly on HD Channels) to the point they look like SD at worst.

Now i'm not sure that's causing this, My HD Box or my TV? I'm guessing an HDMI Cable, would either work or it wouldn't (i'm sure someone on here will keep me right)

I've enclosed a copy of my picture quality on BBC HD, as of 10-15 minutes ago, as you can see it's shocking, lots of horizontal lines across the picture. These seem to disappear, although, the picture quality is still poorish, when i change to the AV Channel.

So can anyone offer any advice, is it most likely to be my Box, Cable or TV?

Via a friend, i can probably get Sky to do a service call FOC, but not sure, just wondering if there's anything i could try to eliminate a problem first

Picture, can be seen here

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Crikey, it looks like a poorly tuned RF channel!

Are we to assume the HD display is fine with it's internal tuner and other external sources or the HD box via component or scart?

3. Enclosure Blue

Enclosure Blue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll try & answer that, as i'm not sure what you mean.

The picture shown, is my HDMI channel.

I don't have great quality scarts. the picture is better on my AV channel, than it is on HDMI, but not by much.

When i play what i've recorded, back on my TV, i get the same picture quality as i posted, but i don't know if that means, it's recorded that quality, or if it's down to the cable or TV

My signal strength details are here

I don't think it's down to my signal though?

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Nope, the signal is just fine.

By asking about the TV's performance with it's internal tuner and perhaps DVD via scart/component or HDMI I was trying to eliminate the TV as being at fault and by extension perhaps pin it down to one input source.
    Then you are more likely to be able to point to the source using that input which is likely to be the SKY+HD box.

5. Enclosure Blue

Enclosure Blue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My new PC, has a Blue Ray DVD player, tomorrow i'm going to rent a Blue Ray film, & play it via my PC, via HDMI, i think i'm correct in saying, this will give me a better idea if it's the tv or not?

I've tried my DVD player via scart, picture quality isn't brilliant.

I'm beginning to think it points towards a fault with the TV.

Thank god for my John Lewis 5 year guarantee ;)

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Yep, they may not always be the cheapest (can be with price match) but the inhouse guarantee is money in the bank:)

In theory yes you should be able to play a Blu movie via HDMI and may determine if it's the source or the TV at fault.
    The fact DVD isn't upto scratch does point to the TV.