What's Eating Gilbert Grape (Lasse Hallström, Johnny Depp, UK Blu-ray, Fabulous Films, September 2021)

IGC

gilbertgrape.jpg

Transfer of the DVDs and Blu-rays have always been a bit ropey, hopefully we have something new from Fabulous Films.

Unlikely, but at least it's a release of this classic. It's been treated criminally in the UK with Poundland DVDs from Prism. I think the OOP StudioCanal Blu-ray was a port of the same transfer used elsewhere as it had the exact same blemishes.

Amazon product

I have the Australia Blu-ray with the SE DVD US for these extras (also on the Japan Blu-ray):

Audio commentary with director and executive producer Lasse Hallström and writer Peter Hedges
"The Characters of Gilbert Grape" featurette (10:49)
"The Voice of Gilbert Grape" featurette (5:32)
"Why We Love Gilbert Grape" featurette (7:51)

Can't believe it's been almost 30 years since this was in cinemas.

Old UK release:

Grape.jpg

Last edited:

IGC

Added artwork.

Very odd that Fabulous Films while doing that nasty cut and paste have added a question mark to the film's title. I'm guessing they're just replicating Studio Canal's ignorance or EIV's original cinema poster.

I don't believe it was ever a question just a statement ie the thing what's eating Gilbert Grape.

Whats-Eating-Gilbert-Grape.jpg

wolfie138

it's got a "?" in the film title on your original case, in the white-on-black text of film info. imdb doesn't have it, but says it's based on the novel, whose title does have it!

IGC

Looking at Amazon there's been at least 6 editions of the book (including one with the USA one sheet artwork) and none have the question mark. I reckon it goes back to an error by EIV on the cinema release. Their cinema & home video artwork was always horrible with only a few exceptions.

s-l1600.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom