Whats currently the best Freesat PVR on the market?

D

Deleted member 92943

Hey guys

Moving into my new home soon which has a communal Sat dish. I refuse to give any of my money to Rupert Murdoch so will be opting for Freesat.

I will be purchasing a new HD LED TV eventually but i'm looking for a PVR to record content.

Whats currently the the best Freesat PVR on the market for the money? Not sure i want to spend more than around £200 tops.

I've seen one called the Humax Foxsat i think. it was in Comet today and looked quite s****y as it listed the channel i was watching on the front of the box.

Is this a popular box? Are there different HDD sizes available? How does it to with upscaling SD broadcasts on a HD TV?

Do Freesat Boxes have On Demand services like iplayer, and services like Lovefilm?

Just any general info would be appreciated really.

There aren't a lot to choose from and they're all made to a specification, but you need to compare them: Freesat.
It's normal for a satellite machine to show the channel name on the display panel, and the answers to your questions are - there isn't a best, Humax is popular, there are two or three drive sizes, some may upscale SD, at least one does iPlayer but they're not like internet TVs or BRs - and of course the details are given more fully on and from the Freesat site.

Last edited:
I would check your new place out first and make sure you have 2 SAT connections first otherwise a PVR is not much use.
Humax Foxsat is one of the best and yes does iPlayer etc via an ethernet socket in the back.
If you have a choice then also look at getting a Freeview HD PVR as you should not have the same limitations as SAT connections.

Join Freesat

I would check your new place out first and make sure you have 2 SAT connections first otherwise a PVR is not much use.
Humax Foxsat is one of the best and yes does iPlayer etc via an ethernet socket in the back.
If you have a choice then also look at getting a Freeview HD PVR as you should not have the same limitations as SAT connections.
The Humax Foxsat HDR can manage with only one satellite feed but it has limitations ... http://www.avforums.com/forums/freesat/1549898-humax-foxsat-pvr-single-lnb-query.html has a bit more on the issues. I use it that way when we tour with it in our caravan.

If you don't have any kit at present do check out the alternatives, though- including your prediction for Freeview reception at the new address (use Trade View) http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/postcodechecker/

This is what i have in my flat. I've asked the builders whether SAT 1 and SAT 2 are 2 separate feeds or a split but they didn't know.

WallSocket.jpg

It wouldn't make sense for them to be split.
Refer to your other post on the subject, and let's keep your questions there.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom