• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

WHats currently regarded as best value for money 37 to 42 LCD set ? Anyone suggest

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
After new flat screen set for front room viewing

Requires the following

1 x RGB Scart
1 (pref 2) x Component Inputs
1 (pref 2) x HDMI Inputs

Also after a set which does not automatically adjust the aspect ration (as my current set does all the time) and also one that preferably has direct selection of inputs, ie you press the HDMI input on remote and get HDMI input on TV

Not to fussed on make or brand etc nor really the color of the set

Must though have fairly good sound from in built speakers

son_t

Established Member
* Most LCD TVs have at least 1 RGB SCART.

* You rarely get LCD TVs with more than 1 component inputs.

* Toshiba do 2/3 x HDMI inputs LCD TV sets.

* Most LCD TVs have a general 'input' button to bring up a menu then for you to select the appropriate input - otherwise you have, maybe, up to 5 input buttons on the remote... Although some set allow you to program a universal remote for direct access to an input...

The hard bit is the remote input buttons... I think...

You can disable pin 8 on the scart lead to stop aspect ratio switching...

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
* Most LCD TVs have at least 1 RGB SCART.

* You rarely get LCD TVs with more than 1 component inputs.

* Toshiba do 2/3 x HDMI inputs LCD TV sets.

* Most LCD TVs have a general 'input' button to bring up a menu then for you to select the appropriate input - otherwise you have, maybe, up to 5 input buttons on the remote... Although some set allow you to program a universal remote for direct access to an input...

The hard bit is the remote input buttons... I think...

You can disable pin 8 on the scart lead to stop aspect ratio switching...

How does the diabling the 8 pin work ? Thought someone said it also got rid of RGB mode

son_t

Established Member
Not RGB. Pin 8 on scart carries switching signals... widescreen, and sometimes 'active' signals... see wikipedia and other sources (like here) for a complete picture ;) I mean spec...

I disabled this pin once on a scart lead by opening it up and removing it! You could just stick some thin tape over it?

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Not RGB. Pin 8 on scart carries switching signals... widescreen, and sometimes 'active' signals... see wikipedia and other sources (like here) for a complete picture ;) I mean spec...

I disabled this pin once on a scart lead by opening it up and removing it! You could just stick some thin tape over it?

Disabled pin 8 - and I have lost teh RGB signal from my SKY+ box :(

Was an old scart cable so not too much or a problem - but with no pin 8 I get no RGB

AndyL_14

Standard Member
This time of year loads of new models will be released - which means old models lying around. The Toshiba 37WLT66 is worth a look - 2 HDMI, 2 SCART 1 RGB and digital tuner- its just been replaced by a newer model but still freely available - just check Pricerunner.

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
This time of year loads of new models will be released - which means old models lying around. The Toshiba 37WLT66 is worth a look - 2 HDMI, 2 SCART 1 RGB and digital tuner- its just been replaced by a newer model but still freely available - just check Pricerunner.

Whats the differance between the 37wlt66 and the 58 ?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom