What's coming? and when?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by JohnAd, Mar 17, 2003.

1. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Pardon me for asking if this has been covered to death elsewhere but I couldn't find anything obvious.

What is the source of "HDTV is coming"?

Any information of resolutions to be supported, compression technology, scan rates, transmission methods, hardware providers?

Any timescales?

My own feeling is that the BBC may well move to using more HDTV in the production environment and will increase the number of programs that are natively progressive. They will continue to downconvert these to ananmorphic PAL for the foreseeable future (5-10 years). The main benifit of having a higher res source will hopefully be a sharper picture for all and much better standards conversion for the US and other markets.

John

2. Ronan

Ronan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  3. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cheers for the quick reply

Excellent! Hopefully these guys will get it sorted. Very brave to start a media comapny in the current climate but good luck to them.

From what is says on the website this should mean that this will be possible to run on an HTPC with a suitable satellite card. Hopefully they will broadcast free to air at least to start off with to build up goodwill amongst those few who can receive it but even if not I think they will probably go for a standard CAM rather than using Sky's ones which is good news.

Now all I have to do is work out where to put the dish....

John

4. Ronan

Ronan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    It's good news alright. There's no info on which satellite they'll be broadcasting from or if it'll be encrypted (that I could see).

Does anyone have any info on what type of satellite receivers they use in the US for HDTV? Are they expensive?

5. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    All I could see was under timing:

"In this period only 1 or 2 programs will be sent via satellite (encrypted) to check technical and logistical issues."

I based my comments on the fact that they seem keen to be standards based and DVB has open CAM standards that will enable them to get lots of manufacturers interested rather than the closed approach of Sky. That way they can simply sell cards for their service rather than having to get involved in hardware.

See

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=179095

Seems to be from $400 up.

John

6. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Much as I am extremely keen to get HDTV, I'd certainly not be jumping on this bandwagon until an "established" broadcaster such as Sky started HDTV transmissions otherwise it may mean buying an additional dish and equipment to pick up a satellite signal from other than Astra or Eutelsat (unless you are lucky enough to have a motorised dish).

Remember D-Mac, BSB etc? Whilst HDTV is VERY enticing, unless the big boys jump in we run the risk of watching pretty pictures for a few months of Wolfgang Lederhosen and his Ompah band playing at the Heidelburg beer festival before having the plug pulled for x reason and our expensive HDTV stb becoming yet another doorstop.

The Euro1080 website looks no different from the literally hundreds of other websites that have cropped up touting their new channels and promising a fantastic new groundbreaking service which then fails to matrialise. It promises everything without a shred of hard evidence (what satellite will it use, when will HDTV boxes be available, who will manufacture the boxes, will the channels be encrypted, what "public broadcasters are on board", etc, etc??

I hope I'm wrong but 1080 looks to be more an advert to attract potential backers and as such january 2004 looks to be somewhat implausible. It needs big money to get something like this off the ground and any big backer would likely be capable of doing this on their own without the need for a facilitating company such as 1080 appears to be.

They are apparently doing encrypted test broadcasts now - anybody heard anything about it? Why "hide" the fact that tests are being run if you want to attract investors - "open" testing is far more likely to cause a stir and likely to attract the right people. Hmmm.

HDTV is on the UK horizon, I just don't think this is the one we'll be watching.

Just my thoughts (and I'll not be disappointed if I'm wrong!)
    Paul

7. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    I noticed the Euro1080 site a couple of months ago.
    I treat it as one to keep an eye on but won't be in the least surprised if all their vapourware turns into nowt.
    Working in the IC industry, I see too many marketing ideas and too much vapourware already.
    I have been most impressed by HDTV that I have seen several times in the USA (I work for a USA company) ; I just can't see it happening for many years in Europe.
    AT least in the USA they began the rollout before the technology bust and fall of the dotcoms etc. - with lots of opposition to the relevant FCC rulings by the way.
    Anyone remember how D2MAC was going to evolve into HDMAC in the 1990's !

Chris Muriel, author of Digital satellite FAQ.

8. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Guys

I agree totally with your pessimism. I'd probably give this a 5% chance, maybe less. But I think that at least they are going the right way about it, not pitching solely to the home market. Note that on the site they are looking for shareholders so I don't think this is a fully funded operation but then renting a spare mux on a sat might not cost all that much. Still we can dream can't we...

John

9. Duncan Craig

Duncan Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly, I'd love to see HDTV take off.

However I work in TV post-production and I'm afraid we won't see mainstream production of HDTV for a very long time. Studios and facilities couldn't justify the expensive for totally new kit, just so a niche market could get slightly higher quality pictures. Especially at a time when revenues and production budgets are at an all-time low.

The data bandwidths required would put us back years in terms of computing power, storage, VTR's and monitoring.

The BBC won't be rushing to start transmitting masses of HDTV either, they have enough on their hands persuading the U.K. to get behind standard definition digital TV. Don't except Sky to start transmitting it either, they've only jut announced they're going widescreen.

I'm sure there will be some U.K. HDTV channels sometime soon, but only for sports and expensive film channels.

10. Orbitalzone

Orbitalzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I recall HDTV via France Telecom back on the early 1990's in D2MAC... the test broadcasts looked pretty good but then it all seemed to die a death....

I agree that it's only likely to really happen once the BBC and / or Sky get in on it... and Sky aren't even doing much in widescreen yet.... HDTV from Sky? maybe in 2010.