• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What's causing this discolouration?

Woodzo

Standard Member
Very quick question- what is causing the strange dark edge on the left of the projected image?

colourshade.jpg

Spigot

Established Member
It looks suspiciously similar to what I had - a partially collapsed light tunnel. I think only DLP projectors have light tunnels, and they prevent light loss between the colour wheel and the lens/mirror/DMD chip assembly.

The light tunnel (on my projector) is just 4 mirrors that form a rectangular tunnel, and the intense heat can cause the glue (or whatever it is that holds them in place) to fail. I've read of people that have repaired it themselves using a heat resistant cement/glue, but mine was particularly tricky to get to, so I sent it off to NEC and they replaced the part for £20 (including collection and return).

Just type 'light tunnel collapse' into google to find lots of examples from different manufacturers.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom