1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's better VSX-1011 or RXV-750???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by CosmicOne, Aug 4, 2004.

1. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    which is a better Amp & does this pioneer model better than the yamaha in movies??? also i read that this pioneer model is not v.good in stereo??

i will be using it with: (not going to upgrade them anytime soon)

Wharfedale Diamond 8.4 fronts
    Diamond 8 Center
    for rears i now have a pioneer S-D55 but i think i will get Diamond 8.1 for rears
    Sony NS-305 DVD player.

so which do u think is better??? also i know that the 750 only has prologicIIx which the pio don't have & maybe the 750 have more powerful amp.

so what do u think.

2. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no one here know about this??????????!!!!!
    Plz guys some help needed.

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    This is mostly a guess.

I would think that the Pioneer would have the better power amplifiers over the Yamaha. They will both be very good at H/C but the Yamaha will slaughter the Pioneer for music. If you only using 5 speakers PL2x makes no difference to you. The Pioneer is also THX certified. The other advantage the Pioneer has over the yamaha is the ability to Bi-amp the front speakers if you arnt using rear surrounds. If i remember rightly the Wharfdales are bi-wirable. Bi amping will give you improved stereo and better drive from the front speakers. I have mine bi-amped from my Rxv1400 using a Rotel power amp. :D

Hope this helps you. Which ever way you go you wont be dissapointed. How much are you looking at paying for them?

4. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dfour,
    thanx u man u are always here to help me:)

i live in Egypt & we only have little number of brands of amps here also not all models of a brand so am very tight to what i found here,so the choices now is all Yamaha RXV-x40 line & pioneer D-812 D912 VSX-1011 also i dealers here told me the new Yamaha RXV-x50 line will be avaialbe very soon.

also from the prices here the 1011 is equal to 450 UK pounds & the 750 will be more than that (from the prices of the old yammy range here the 740=410 UK pounds)

anyway while i care more for movies but i love stereo also & i love listing in only two channel stereo so in that way the pioneer very bad compared to yammys while the yammys themselfs is not top notch in stereo like Marantz & that means the pio is very bad.
    do u think the 912 or 812 is better than the 1011 & the RXV-x50 line???

thanx man very much ur help is really appreciated.

5. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    C'mon guys??!! where is the replyies??

6. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I'm extremely happy with my Yamaha, but the 1011 is also a good choice, being a 2011 without some slightly unnecessary features.

If you want auto-set-up, and a ton of features, and a good amp, get the Yamaha.

If you want a good amp, get the pioneer.

7. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    If 2 channel is your priority you should consider using an AV receiver with preouts into a dedicated stereo integrated amp.

If you do a search on here you will get lots of info on this approach. The Arcam integrated amps for example are well suited to this approach having a dedicated unity gain processor function.

I have owned a number of AV amps over the years and have yet to find one I would consider as a hifi amp as well as a movie amp.

Gus

8. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanx guys,

anyway stereo is not my priority i care for movies more that's why am leaning toword the Yamaha coz i read here they are the best in movies,but i also want the best stereo performance i can get from a AV amp without aiming to dedicated stereo amps quality but am talking about descent quality with excellent movie quality.

I don't care very much for the Auto setups i care for power & quality(movies 1st,Stereo 2nd) & formats supported.

(we don't have Marantz or Denon in my country they are very very rare & old models)

i can also get a Harman Kardon AVR3350 it will be = 345UK pounds but i don't favor them i prefer Yamaha better.

& as i said there's the pio D812 & 912.

9. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I would ignore the 812/912 in favour of the rxv750. I would recommend this if its anything like the 1400 I own :smashin: The only thing I would also recommend to get is a Sound Level Meter. The Yamaha has auto setup but you really need to fine tune it with a SPL.

Now go and buy the Yamaha :devil:

10. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So guys,if we forget about the 750 for a minute coz i don't know if it's really gonna be avaialbe in my country;
    arrange this from best to worst:

RXV-640, RXV-450, RXV-550, RXV650, D912, D812, VSX1011

please rearange those from best to worst (without careing about the price)

11. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Today The new Yamaha models has arrived to my country & the price of the 1011 will be equal to the price of the RXV650 not the 750 which will be out of my budget so do u still think the 650 will be better than the 1011????

12. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Is it possible to get a demo of the 650 and the 1011 as it will really help you to be able to choose. Otherwise I would recommend the 1011 and use the 2 centre rear amps on the 1011 to bi-amp the front wharfdale 8.4 as this will make a lot of difference to the power and steering of the front speakers. :D

13. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dfour;
    i think it will be very very difficult to demo the amps & also with speakers like i have!!

is the 1011 better in anything else than it's power amplifier????& how bad is it's stereo compared to 650 even after biamping the speakers in the 1011 (could the 650 do that coz it's also 7.1)??also i don't care for THX & am a little bit leaning toword the 650 & i might be using the two back centers.

does the 1011 have lots more power that the 650??

Also what about the sound quality of the two amps??

in final words what's the real advanage of the 1011 over the 650??

14. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    The main problem with your question is you are comparing an old amp against a new amp. I doubt that there is anyone who has listened to both. If you are leaning towards the 650 then get it you wont be dissapointed. My 1400 is a cracking amp. If your also not interested in THX get the 650 and the 650 will most likely be better in stereo than the 1011, maybe even with the fronts bi-amped on the 1011.
    :offtopic:
    At a later date you could always pick up a 2 channel power amp and bi-amp the 650 as it has pre-outs and improve the stereo performance like me :devil:

15. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dfour u r dman,
    anyway i know am really boring u with all this,but today i went to another dealer & he told me he will soon get the x50 series for better price than i found & he also have the 1011 & i was looking at it & while i don't love pioneer the most but i found it to look very highend compared to the yammys x50 series

& Also there's something very very important concerns me does the new x50 sreies uses the same amps from the x40 series???coz if it does it will be very bad coz i read in HCCO reviews that the RXV640 was outputing 39w when all 5channel is loaded & they said that really strain the amp.

Also dude ,DID yamaha solve the very narrow dynamic range in stereo that was found in there x40 series with the new x50l ine??

from ur point of view as i see u r a pro in sound field ,What do u think is more important:the power of the 1011 or the quality of the x50series??also is there any difference in movie quality???coz i heared Yamaha is the best in this category & how bad the stereo with the pio???

sorry man for wasting ur time but am asking all this questions coz am not audiophile & it's easy for me to be tricked in sound hardware & i really want to get the best from my hard hard earned money.(i keep saving for a lot of time for this)

16. PeteBKK

PeteBKK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't add much to this, being a newbie myself and not having previously owned any other receivers, but I am VERY happy with my rx-v750 which I just bought. Great for movies, music, playstation 2 and very easy to setup to a basic configuration.

Pete.

17. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PeteBKK

so dude what do u think about the power of this amp???& what speakers are u using with it??

18. PeteBKK

PeteBKK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,

I have found no limitations to the power (so far) that the V750 pumps out. I listen to Heavy Metal and some Dark Drum and Bass and the Yamaha easily covers the range from highs to lows. Movies are incredible. I have 5.1 speakers. Polk R50s at the front, Polk R20s at the back, Polk Csi25 center and Mordaunt Short 309 sub. I still need to do some more tweeking with the setup though. For instance, when I ran the auto setup the V750 set the sub crossover to 120Hz which was too high and I manually set it to 80Hz. However, 120Hz might be the factory default and the auto setup does not alter that parameter. Not sure. Still, gives me plenty to do which keeps me at home and out of trouble, much to the relief of my girlfriend! Bangkok does have a lot of temptations!

Pete.

19. andyAV

andyAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't believe it - after all it's your ears that will be doing the listening for you. Try getting a demo to compare the yamaha and the pioneer. See what you think - no one has yet posted a reply to say either are real lemons so it's probably down to personal preference.

If the pioneer sounds lame in stereo to you buy the yamaha and visa versa. If they both sound lame you might have a problem ;) .

Regarding pioneer, unless you plan to do 7.1 sound bi-amp the front pair for the demo - it made a noticable difference on my kit (Pio D2011, Kef Q7s) especially in stereo. Same might go for the yamaha if it provides that option (don't know anything about that one).

Andy

20. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx guys very very much.