whats better than windows media player

keith_001

Standard Member
hi guys

im big into playing my music off my laptop. is there a better program out there that can do a better job than windows media player?

i would be intrested in software that could improve the sound too

thanks.

Singh400

Distinguished Member
The quality of the sound is entirely down to your hardware and drivers.

What do you mean a "better job"?

mark.carline

I have just got a Zune 2 80Gb and discovered that the Zune software can be used as a standalone Media Player.

I would certainly recommend it to anyone who wants something better than Media Player 11:

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=7313338

Its dead fast and you don't need a Zune to use it either!

If you want 99.9% CD sound quality then just set the rip settings to use MP3 320Kbs quality.

I thin MP11 will be scrapped soon in preference for this Zune software.

doublej

in WMP 11 Microsoft pretty much got it right. It has no glaring weakness. its a very good and comprehensive product.

Personally though, I still don't get on with it....I dont find the UI much fun at all. Instead I've settled on mediamonkey. why ?

- great library and tag managements....espcially for a collection of say 10000 songs plus
- podcast support ! it fetches my fave podcasts and automatically dumps them on my mp3 player
- i have the register version (abuot a tenner) and it will convert files on the fly to either different formats or different quality
- great community support
- it does volume levelling - which is a big plus if you have varied source files and want to play a party or something.
- its fast and doesnt gobble ram.

it doesn't:

-do video
- do media sharing

all of which wmp11 does out of the box

mark.carline

.......I dont find the UI much fun at all. Instead I've settled on mediamonkey. why ?

- great library and tag managements....espcially for a collection of say 10000 songs plus
- podcast support ! it fetches my fave podcasts and automatically dumps them on my mp3 player
- i have the register version (abuot a tenner) and it will convert files on the fly to either different formats or different quality
- great community support
- it does volume levelling - which is a big plus if you have varied source files and want to play a party or something.
- its fast and doesnt gobble ram.

it doesn't:

-do video
- do media sharing

all of which wmp11 does out of the box

All of which seems to be sorted in the Zune media player i mentioned above. The podcast support is excellent.

doublej

It's also already supported by WMP11, not new to Zune. None the less, I might take a look. It sounds interesting..

Steven

Senior Moderator
im big into playing my music off my laptop. is there a better program out there that can do a better job than windows media player?
Better? Do you mean "better" library and organisation of your music? Codec support?

I use http://www.foobar2000.org/ which is lightweight and powerful. Latest release has pre-set UI, but does require learning to setup UI wise.
i would be intrested in software that could improve the sound too
As above depends on hardware. Most laptop onboard sound cards don't cut it if you want any real quality. I got myself an external usb sound card hooked up to external speakers... then in conjunction with foobar (above), use asio output. See here and here. Winamp and mediamonkey are often suggested. Not to mention iTunes

kaidiez

is songbird usable now? I was looking at it before when it was at 0.2 or something but my library is about 6000 songs so it struggled.

chrisbaker42

Might be and idea for Keith to answer Singh's question and tell us in what way he wants something better than media player. I personally use VMC all the time as I find it a much quicker interface than iTunes. As for improving the quality that has already been covered by the fact that this is down to the sound card and sound system used.

csd7025

I would also like advice on a decent media player (music only) I used WMP 11 this now runs very slow and for that reason only i am looking to change.

I'm already forced to use itunes (which runs fine performance wise) for my ipod but i can't stand it due to the duplicate songs which appear more often than i get laid!!

Which would be best in your opinion?

Usama

Distinguished Member

Sonic67

Banned
Winamp.

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
I must be the exception then cos I think Winamp is poo.... And I love WMP11 (for music, not for video)

In WMP11 I love the library view, finding songs is simple and easy, either by search or by scroll, the album art is a much nicer touch over WMP10. Simple to use, clearly labled/displayed buttons, no confusion - it's like the Nokia of media players! Sure it's fairly "no frills", or particulary fancy, but it's easy to use and I like the GUI....

For video I use VLC on my PC, on my TV PC I typically tend to use Zoomplayer (again, nicer GUI I think, plus the keyboard short cuts are better)

The only one I think might be better for a HTPC scenario (if not using MCE) might be the latest iTunes, thanks to it's CoverFlow display - but I have never got on with iTunes as a programme....

Sam Leach

Standard Member
I really like MWP v11 also. Alot nicer than the older versions. Looks nicer than iTunes.

For video VLC all the way. You can get skins if you dont like its boringish look.

locka

Standard Member
well I might as well throw my choice into the hat, it a program called silverjuke

http://www.silverjuke.net/en/

It sort's my collection of 10,000 tracks very well. it designed as both a home system or for pubs/clubs which is why it has options for coin machines. Looks the best if you have the cover art for your cd as this is shown, has loads of different views options has a great kiosk mode which I use when friends are round as you can make it take up full screen on my TV and lock's the pc so that no other windows controls work, people can then select and queue tracks to there hearts content. It only takes me about 5m to update my whole collection from my server, you can create skins and your own plugins.

PS

I looked a loads of jukebox programs including media monkey, this for me far and way the best layed out.

3T3L1

2nd that....great powerful player and very easy to use.

Cowan Jet Audio. Not the most user friendly, but loads of options on the free player.

Don't know if it's just me but it does sound better then MMJB (which I used to swear by until it became bloatware)

thecuttingedge

Standard Member
One question, two answers:

For music - Winamp :smashin:

Its small, easy to set up and doesn't hog your system resources, you can also fully edit your ID3 tags.

For video - Media Player Classic :smashin:

Again, very small, doesn't hog your resources and it will play just about anything.

I know it is a bother using two when WMP does both but trust me, it is worth it.

sunnysunnysunny

There's one solution, and it's free: Irfanview.
It's free, simple and easy to use. I never use anything else. As well as music files, it can run/play/open almost any type of file!
It loads really quickly, much quicker than Windows Media Player and iTunes (although I use that to put music onto my iPod).
You can play videos, view images - it's amazing!
Download it here:
www.irfanview.com :)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Google set to launch the Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro smartphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Focal launches Bathys noise-cancelling wireless headphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Formovie Theater UST projector hits the UK
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series