1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

whats better: offical RCA or budget RGB cable?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by skanky, Jul 4, 2004.

1. skanky

skanky
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a RGB SCART cable telly, what would give better picture quality for the PS2/GC:

- the original/offical RCA lead w/SCART converter that comes with the console.
    - a third party RGB SCART cable such as this one: http://***********/35cfc from argos, the logic 3 scart cable.

Naturally RGB would be mucho better but after reading about Xbox 3rd party cables not being anywhere near as good as the official ones, I'm not unsure..

I have a feeling that RGB would be better despite this, no?

2. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Unless the RGB was VERY poor, and the RCA was incredibly good, I'd say there's no way a composite signal could beat an RGB one.

I recently bought a budget GC RGB cable and it was a truly terrible signal. But I later compared it to a composite cable and the difference was very minimal (the composite signal was probably better tbh)

3. dmjohnson123

dmjohnson123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I bought an RGB scart cable for my cube from my high street GAME for under a tenner.

It was Game branded so I'd class it as budget.

The picture is much improved when compared with using the composite cable supplied with the cube. The picture is all round more sharp and the colours much more vivid.

Also, the Game Scart cable has stereo phono leads off it allowing you to connect the cube directly to an amp for "cinema sound".

Very pleased with the improvement this cable gave.

4. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If you have a choice, then go for RGB every time. Just make sure you're using a good cable. The official Nintendo RGB is amazing but it doesn't have seperate audio out, which can be a problem. The Game scart cable is very good, but the image is very 'wavy' especially with text

I use that Logic 3 PS2 cable and it's excellent. IMO it's the best one you can buy for the system

5. skanky

skanky
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An audio out is a must, even if it is only using just RCA, so that rules out the official nintendo jobbie unfortunetaly.

Can you elaborate on the 'wavy' effect for the GAME cable? Any screenshots highlighting the effect? ..wavyness aside, its still better than the official RCA cable, yes/no?

I read that nintendo had been fiddling around to make third party RGB cables not output in RGB at all so making the official cable the only one that does.. truth? fake rumour?

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    cheap Ps2 cable will be fine every time, never seen a bad one.

However the Game RGB cable for the cube I had and many others had too, has bad crosshatching, probably sorted now. well worth getting an offical Nintendo one.

Composite will be ****e every time, no matter how good the cable is.

Xbox, I dont know? I use the official hi-def pack and the picture looks very soft to me, but only in menus etc. when a games running I don't get time to really study it anyway. ;)

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  8. skanky

skanky
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah that doesnt look too bad, any quality loss by using one of these breakout boxes?

what is the difference between the 2 listed on that site, one is 10p cheaper for some reason? are they both rgb or is one composite?

9. skanky

skanky
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    picked up the logic3 ps2 scart and even though its a cheapy third party cable (as opposed to official sony jobbie), i can definately tell the diff compared to the composite cables.

soul calibur2 used to have this horrid red flaring effect even on the namco logo, it doesnt do that anymore yay! ..and games in general look nicer is a good side effect ;)

all i have to do now is get the gamecube off composite and im set!

10. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I'd expect the quality loss to be negligible, the Nintendo one certainly isn't built like a brick. Even if there is then it may be a worthwhile trade to get the sound out, I only had a quick look - there may be better quality versions available.

I think the difference between the 2 is that one has an S-Video socket too.

11. skanky

skanky
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone used the logic3 gamecube rgb scart cable? impressed with the ps2 version, just wanted to know if anyone out who has this has an opinion?

12. dmjohnson123

dmjohnson123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    My Game RGB Scart cable (bought around March 2004) has no 'wavy' image problem.

I'm about as fussy as it possible to be (just ask my wife) and I have no problems with the Game cable for the cube. Maybe it used to be a problem and has been sorted.

13. skanky

skanky
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone got a link for the GAME CG RGB? couldnt find it on shop.game.net nor could i find anything better than GAME's RF cable in stock at my local high street store heh :)