1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's better of those as center channel speaker??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by CosmicOne, Jun 6, 2004.

1. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wharfedale Diamond8 center channel

Infinity Primus Center channel
    http://www.infinitysystems.com/homeaudio/product_detail.aspx?prod=PRIMUSC25BK

Infinity Alpha center channel
    http://www.infinitysystems.com/homeaudio/product_detail.aspx?prod=ALPHA CENTERBK

despite there prices (in my country the Wharfedale is the cheapest of those) please arrange them from best to worse.

Also as a note my front speakers are Wharfedale Diamond8.4 & matching is very important,also my amp is KenWood KRF-V5030D with 110w per channel(much lower in real life).

2. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone please.!!!!

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    As you have mentioned in your post matching is important so the Wharfdale is the natural choice since your fronts are the same make. As to which sounds best you'll have to listen to them to make up your own mind. The way speakers sound is very subjective and one is not necessarily better than another just different. You'll have to find the one thay sounds best to YOUR ear as what sounds good to me won't necessarily suit your tastes.
    If you do purchase a centre that is better than the Wharfdale centre then this will only go to highlight the limitations of your fronts and might not necessarily match either. If your happy with your fronts then I'm sure the Wharfdale centre will complement them well and give you a matched front soundstage.

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Totally agree with Hawklord. I would imagine that the Wharfdale would sound the best overall. :smashin:

5. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanx guys i also made my mind & i will go with the Wharfedales,
    but i have a question:
    what defines a good center speaker???how do u know that's a good center speaker when u listen to it???

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Basically the main use of a centre speeker in a film, TV etc is people speaking. Therefore a good centre speaker will sound clear when people are talking and will hopefully sound tonally close to your other front speakers for smooth panning across the soundstage.
    So IMHO you can tell a good centre speaker by the fact that you can clearly hear dialogue even when there is a lot of background noise on the soundtrack.

Mark.

7. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Clear, detailed audio with good imaging with a similar character to your fronts (and surrounds if possibel). If your happy with the fronts you currently have (sound wise) then I'm sure that the wharfdale centre will offer similar characteristics so should be ok.
    There are better fronts available but you'd have to replace all the front three speakers so they match tonealy and will have to spend more money. For your current situation the wharfdale is the natural and probably the best choice.
    If your looking to get better fronts in the near future then you may be better off auditioning a whole new speaker package and buying the centre from your favourite package to tide you over untill you can afford the matching fronts.
    If upgraditis hasn't taken hold then just get the wharfdale centre and enjoy :smashin:

8. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i don't plan on upgrading soon espicially that i get my Diamond8.4's from a very short time & i like there sound quality,so i will stick with Wharfedales.

9. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    today i get the Diamond8 center & it's very very good & i love it,but am not very happy coz my KenWood advertised 110wattx5 can't handle it & 8.4s propably & i will need to upgrade my amp soon & i have Yammy RXV450 & RXV540 & RXV640 into considertaion,

anyway i need ur opinions on something:when i do the sound test in my KenWood the center sounds louder than the other diamond 8.4's while they are matched,should i leave it at that volume(higher than 8.4s) or lower it's volume to match them???

10. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Most people use an spl meter (sound pressure level) to set the speaker volume levels but it can be done by ear. Within your amps options menu you should be able to adjust the levels of each speaker to match one another (in your case lower the centre to match your fronts).
    I would have thought that the amp should be able to drive all of your speakers ok why do you feel you have a problem?
    Any of those Yamaha amps would be a good upgrade though imo but I would consider other makes like Marantz, Pioneer and Denon if they are available in your neck of the woods:)

11. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what do u think about the pioneer VSX-D812 & D712 compared to the RXV640 & 450??? & i want to know:is the RXV450 powerful that the 640??i think i read that i gives out more wattage power.
    Also i want to change to get more quality sound in stereo & in movies espicially movies.

i think my amp doesn't drive them well cause when i go in stereo mode & only using the 8.4's the bass doesn't get strong enough also the speakers doesn't go to very high volumes so i think it's clipping(also i doesn't hear much more quality with this amp comparing my wharfedale 8.4s to cheap pioneer 3way bookshelfspeakers that am using now as surrounds but i compare them in stereo mode) also the power in 5.1 mode is very very compared to in stereo mode while it should as advertised give 110w to all channels.

12. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    You can't really go on the specs provided and you have to take them with a pinch of salt especially with budget products. The best way to find your ideal set up is to go have a listen. I'm sure the dealers in your area would let you audition various receivers with the speakers you have chosen. You'd be able to compare both the surround sound and stereo performance of each with the speakers to find the best match. It's not very wise to buy components blind as sometimes everything may look good on paper but when you finally set it up and listen to it can often not give you the results you wanted.
    Most budget av amps are basically crap with stereo anyhow to be perfectly frank and even higher end ones only perform around the same as a budget to mid ranged integrated amp. A lot of people (me included) purchased an av reciever with pre outs so we can add an integrated stereo amp into the mix for music/stereo listening. This gives you the best of both worlds and doesn't take much to integrate both solutions together if you have pre-outs. This is obviously more expensive but if music is important to you why compromise with a one box solution when two will give you better results.