1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's better...need Norton Ghost help

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Pbryanw, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Hi, I have just bought an external firewire drive and want to know would I be better cloning my hard-drive on to it or backing up using Norton Ghost images. I have Norton Ghost 2003 and these seem to be the best two options but I don't know which one is the option to go for?

Also is Norton Ghost the best option? I would buy different backup software if I knew it provided me with a better backup solution.

Any help appreciated :thumbsup:

2. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,527
    you can't go wrong with Ghost in my opinion.

I prefer the older DOS based versions but I have 2003 and it's still the biz.
    I'd always say backup using ghost images..

3. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Thanks for the quick reply and help much appreciated :thumbsup:

4. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,025
    Despite The Dudes help, I couldn't get the DOS version of Ghost to work, so ended up using 2003. I haven't tried re-installing from the image though.

5. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    Ghost is so much quicker than copying a drives contents. Again - I use the DOS diskettes that 2003 can produce.

6. phunkey_monkeh

phunkey_monkeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont have a floppy.

I store my drive image on a seperate partition. Whenever i want to restore i just stick the norton ghost cd in the drive and reboot the pc, it automatically finds the image, and restore in less than 10 minutes. Plus a 6gb image is squashed into a 2gb file using just the standard compression.

7. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,527
    even fancier, I use Bart's BFD107 network boot disk, running from a CD instead of a floppy for nice fast booting, and keep my ghost backups on remote machines in case of some nightmare occurring with the local machine

HTPC ghosted up to PC2
    laptop ghosted up tp PC2
    PC2 ghosted up to laptop

and with copies of each ghost image on a removeable HDD...
    I'm just ever so slightly paranoid.... :rolleyes:

- with gigabit NICs ghosting over the LAN is faster too.... :)

8. geroffme

geroffme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ghost is the dogs nads IMHO for back-up. Use it :thumbsup:

9. Taylorg

Taylorg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I use Norton Ghost Version 9.0 it's great and to restore a whole drive you just boot off the Ghost CD.

10. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I have Ghost 9 and 2003, and I prefer the older 2003 as it boots quicker off floppy than 9 does of CD and I don't like the idea of imaging a running O/S which 9 forces you to do.

11. senu

senu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,865
    ghost 9 is partly based on symantec technology and drive image ( formerly powerquest) technology It does seem to be the best of both worlds as drive image was very highly rated as is partition magic ( also from powerquest). Acronis true image is also very good. i have used all 3 and do not have a personal favorite. PS Ghost 2003 is now even bettter esp as it is now cheap(er) to get
    These programs do not behave the same on all systems!
    Im not sure why imaging your os whilst running is a big disadvantage . you can also do it pre os if you boot 9 off the cd. Some of this is due in part to the fact that pre os winxp will probably not fully boot off a single floppy
    I add my tuppence worth ( in this ) because some people may have difficulty with a particular software on their own system and it is good to know that there are equally good alternatives

12. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Ghost v8.0 (what 2003 is based on) is excellent. I use it at work and the multicast feature is very nice - lets me blast an image down to 10 PCs at a time. Very useful for ICT suite rollouts (I work at a school). PowerQuest Drive Image 2002 was solid as well, although not quite as flexlible as Ghost (which has some good advanced command switches when trying to copy HDDs that are about to die.

PowerQuest Drive Image 7 / Ghost 9.0, I'm not impressed with to be honest. PQDI 7.0 wouldn't install correctly first time round. Installing any patches was a pain - it used to uninstall the previous version, reboot, then you could run the patch. Starting the recovery enviroment from CD is/was dog slow and half the time my images would be corrpupt.

Acronis TrueImage 8.0 is excellent. The 'secure zone' feature is nice - my PC has 2 RAID-1 arrays (2x200GB SATA and 2x120GB P-ATA). I've simply stuffed an image of my OS parition into the secure zone. There is a function you can enable to hit F11 at boot time, which loads the imaging software for both creating an image and restoring one.

13. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I didn't say it was a BIG disadvantage, I just prefer to capture a partition in a non active state as that is how it will be restored.

When I boot the Ghost 9 CD it doesn't give me the option to take an image only to restore. If I am missing something please let me know.