1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what's better HCPC or DVD players

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by AVMADMAN, Feb 11, 2003.

1. AVMADMAN

AVMADMAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was in Rayleigh Hifi at lakeside thurrock i hope not!over the weekend and was told to forget using a HCPC as a budget DVD player will give me far better playback than any hcpc?

Is this right as i am planning to spend quiet alot on a hcpc this month???

:confused:

2. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some people swear that the HTPC is the way to go. I don't think that the hifi shop were being very accurate - after all - they have an interest in you buying a DVD player.

I have an HS10 projector and I feed it a component signal from a toshiba SD-9000 (which cost £800) and also a DVI signal from a HTPC.

The picture from both is very very good. I think the picture from the HTPC is slightly better. The HTPC has the advantage that it's a computer - but that's also it's weak spot - I'm using an ATI remote wonder remote control and even with this, the HTPC is still not quite as usable as a normal DVD player and whoever heard of a DVD player crashing and ruining your movie?

I think that for ultimate picture quality at the expense of convenience then a HTPC is the way to go.

However a GOOD QUALITY progressive scan DVD player into your display (assuming it will take progressive component video) I think will give almost as good quality...

Horses for courses.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,970
    It wasn't a particularily helpful answer from Rayleigh I guess. In a way they are right but also completely wrong too. It depends on the projector and DVD player you are comparing and most importantly it depends on the display device you want to use it with.

Gordon

4. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    When I finally find teh money to get a PJ to make my HCPC really come into its own, I intend to take it into rayleigh hifi in chelmsford, and do a 'shootout'. I've had a bit of a chat in there with the peeps, and they seem interested, but scepetical.

As John says however, it's not in their interest to encourage you from buying a DVD player from them :)

5. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,621
    I'll come along with ya nutcase, we can give 'em a good kickin :D

6. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well we beat two of their staff at pool yesterday, they play for the pub over the road to me, and I play for my cousin's pub a few miles away, so a home game is an away game and vice versa!

Can't diss 'em too much tho' cos I do get my bits and pieces from them :)

7. AVMADMAN

AVMADMAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the pj would be a barco 808....

There main arguement was that any dvd drive in a computer would be far inferior even if i had the best graphic card on the market...

I am glad that i have this forum to check things out as i would have chucked the whole idea.. thinking they know best...

Thanks again:smashin:

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,970
    Well seeing as many DVD players use DVD rom drives like you'd get in a PC and seeing as the 808 has no internal de-interlacer/scaler I think it's a pretty safe bet that someone here could comfortably show them they are wrong. As long as we are talking no outside video processing and not useability either...just image quality

Gordon

9. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    My HCPC has not had a problem at all, it took a bit of tweaking to get it stable now it just sits there and does its job whether that be taking a switched SVideo source from my Pre/Pro or SDI DVD player and deinterlacing/scaling it to my 808 or playing DVD's via TheaterTek into the 808 and passing the sound to my Pre/Pro.

I cannot imagine how much I'd have to spend to get an equivalent picture (actually having thought about how much I have spent maybe I should retract that last comment :D)

Steve

10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    and the sound quality?

it isn't all about picture. For what it is worth I think HCPCs have the edge on picture and DVD players have the edge in sound but the former situation is likely to change with DVI stuff. It depends where your priorities are.

11. AVMADMAN

AVMADMAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my priorites are pretty well split 50/50

thanks for your input guy's - i am going to ring them this afternoon to see what their comments are!!!

:D

12. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Difficult one that, I've got an RME Digi 96/8 PAD and the sound is very good however 90+% of my viewing is via SDI DVD player into H3D card and the sound straight into my TAG so it's not even an issue (unless of course you compare the sound to a DVD32R ;) )

I does beat the DVD hands down in music replay via Sonic Foundry Siren PCA encoded music tho', actually it beats my CD player also (TAG)

Steve

13. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I think there are issues with DVD DD/DTS sound from software players on HTPC, I just can't figure what it is yet. Again not a big priority for me since I use an external SDI player for most of my viewing. PCI sound on the other hand is pretty much sussed and getting a good level of performance playing audio CD isn't a problem.

14. KarlRobinson

KarlRobinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For me, unless your luckly enough to have a SDI setup then a HCPC beats a DVD player easily.

The standalone player route with an external scaler has so many more D/A conversions to go through than the HCPC.

I constantly do tests comparing the two, and in all cases the HCPC looks sharper and sounds just as good, but its more hassel.

15. bluebaron

bluebaron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It'll be interesting to see how the PQ of the HCPC's stands up to the new DVI DVD players that are starting to come out.

16. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,970
    There are many issues here. Just because there are less a to d and d to a conversions taking place doesn't mean a PC will be automatically better. I have an HTPC with great picture quality most of the time.

Bluebarron: The DVI outputting DVD players should be interesting. Unfortunately you will be stuck using the de-interlacing solution of the DVD manufacturer if you go down that route and it may not be superior to that of an off board video processor or even that built in to your display device. The DVI output will be useless for CRT owners anyway so they will be stuck with SDI hacked DVD, HTPC or good old analogue component out.

Gordon

17. jbalat

jbalat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My friend has an AE100 with a Philips progressive dvd player. I have the ae200 with a radeon9000pro. He agreed that my picture quality was at least as good as his. It was even better with my marvel but unfortunately it did not support 2 monitors and it had to go.
    He liked the control you have with zoom player for removing the black bars. He was also blown away when I put on the Snowboarding game.
    The problem is the setup with the pc. Its hard to do any work on the pj especially if you are sitting on the couch. You need a card with dual head and a table nearby and wireless gear which gets expensive,:clap: :hiya: