1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what's better for choosing wireless headphones? InfraRed or UHF/RF?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by chained, Feb 9, 2005.

1. chained

chained

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm currently looking for a pair of wireless headphones but i don't know what to choose.. IR seems to be a good choice but that mean i can't go to another room to listen to music right? im completely have no knowledge about headphones so could someone fill me in. thanks :)

2. nic@highgroundd

nic@highgroundd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've posted recently asking for a bit of advice on cordless cans. I can tell you what I know if that would help.

Infra Red seems to be the preferred choice of the 'professional' or serious music listener (lets define them loosely as audiophiles); but they come with a higher price tag than UHF/RF models. I suspect that the IR/UHF/RF transmitters output similar results (after all, the sound is being propelled through the air, not through a wire), so if your in the market sub-£80 you might like to check the following two pairs out which have been recommended, both of which are NOT IR.

Firstly, the AKG K105 UHF's - an 'oldey but goodey' by all accounts. Un-biased reviews located here:
    http://www.audioreview.com/headphones-home-audio/headphones/AKG Acoustics/PRD_125817_2750crx.aspx

... and since learnt that the relatively new Sennheiser RS120's are particularly good. Review here:
    http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/PC-Speakers/Sennheiser-RS-120-Review/

Both of these headphones, I believe, will work up to 100 metres away from the source and have excellent fidelity with little interference.

To sumarise, of the modestly priced cordless headphones out there, the above come recommended above the others.

Hope this helps a little.

3. chained

chained

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it did help me indeed. thanks nic.

4. honglong

honglong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have used various RF headphones (Sennhieser RS120, AKG Hearo 777, Sennhieser RS45, etc) and also a pair of Sony infrared headphones (Sony MDR-DS3000 DD/DTS surround headphones) and the sonys are by far the best sounding headphones with hardly any hiss, and no pops and crackles at all.

In stereo mode they sound awesome. So much, that i sold my Gradi SR-80 and headphone amp to use these instead.

Also, you can move anywhere in the room and the sound is the same. But, as soon as you leave the room. The sound goes.

So, my advice! if you want the best quality sound from wireless headphones and you intend to stay in the same room as the transmitter. Go for digital infrared (the sony ones i mentioned and the pioneer surround ones).

If you want good quality and intend to move around the whole house. Go for RF wireless headphones.