1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's better firewire input: Motherboad or Pinnacle?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Dr.Rock, May 1, 2004.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi,

I have the Pinnacle DV Studio Deluxe PCI card from my old computer. The card has video inputs and outputs, including a couple of firewire ports for conection to DV cameras.

I've recently build a new PC which itself has a couple of firewire sockets on the motherboard (Asus P4C800 Deluxe-E). Does anyone know which is the better firewire socket to use for DV capure? Should I still use the PCI Pinnacle card which costed me around £300 or will the firewire sockets on m new motherboard work just as well? Why would the Pinnacle card cost so much, if its performance is same as standard firewire?

Thanks.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Just for simple digital video capture any firewire port will be exactly the same, so you could just drop the Pinnacle card.
    I don't know exactly what the Pinnacle card has onboard, but I would guess that it has analogue capture/output ports and this is what you payed your £300 for, along with any supplied software. Depending on your final output for your video or the ports on the graphics card you may well need the analogue ports to output to a VCR etc.

In the past couple of years the cost of all capture cards has come down by a large amount of money. Therefore it is unlikely that your card would cost much more than ~£100 today.

Mark.