Whats Best Way to Mount Canton CD1 Speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by is1111, Apr 8, 2005.

1. is1111

is1111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Hi got my canton CD1 yesterday(thanks Jake!) and need to mount the two rear speakers on the wall and possibly the front two as well.
    being hopeless at any form of DIY whats the best way to fit the brackets securely to the wall to take the weight of the canton speakers.
    CD1 comes with the brackets for mounting the speakers but doesn't come with screws or fixings.
    really looking for an idiots guide to putting these up.what size of screws should i use to ensure these don't fall off the wall! :eek:
    what else would i need other than electric drill/screwdriver to make life as simple as possible.
    am i as well just going to the local hardware shop with the bracket and someone in the shop will keep me right?
    appreciate any advice.
    thanks in advance!

2. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you go to leylands diy, they will stock plasterboard rawplugs with dedicated screws. These give a much safer fixing than conventional rawplugs. Obviously this only works if your walls are plasterboard rather than concrete.

Just drill a 'starter' hole slightly smaller than raw plug. You will see the rawplug needs to be screwed in with a cross head screw driver. You could add pva glue to the thread if you want. easy

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    just tell the local hardware shop man what wall are made of and take bracket, they will sort you out the rest.

4. is1111

is1111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    thanks guys! one wall is plasterboard and rest are solid. as i said not too good at the old diy and don't want to come home one day and find a couple of holes in the wall and a hole in the laminate flooring where the cantons went right thru! :D

5. Rich D

Rich D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Measure and mark with a pencil. Then measure again to make sure.

Have a hoover handy to suck up dust as you drill.

Use plasterboard fixing on the you guessed it plasterboard wall ;). No drilling needed they screw straight in and are self drilling. They come with suitable screws that fit into the "corkscrew" that goes into the wall.

Use red Rawlplugs in the blockwork wall. Use a 5.5 or 6mm masonary bit. Start drilling without hammer at first. If it goes easily then dont use hammer. Drill to depth deep enough to sit rawlplugs flush. Tap them in gently with hammer and use screws that are roughly the length of the rawlplug.

HTH and isnt too patronising!

Rich :)

6. is1111

is1111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    thanks rich. not too patronising at all. went and bought what i need this morning from the local hardware shop this morning so all set. know exactly what i am going to do.
    just wanted reassurance i was going to do this right as i'm not a big fan of diy. guess i'm just too lazy sometimes! :smashin:
    cheers

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    make sure there are no pipes or cables where you are going to drill and put an RCD on Drill

8. Rich D

Rich D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good Point Horny!

If there are any sockets directly below where you are drilling then there will most likely be a cable running vertically from the ceiling downwards.