What's best way to mirror tablet screen to series 6 Samsung Smart TV?

guitareth

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've just bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro8.4 and am delighted with it, but as I also have a Samsung Smart TV I thought it would be easy to mirror my tablet's screen to the TV without any additional hardware. However, it appears not, as my smart TV is a series 6 model bought in 2011 (Samsung Model UE40D6510). I hoped I could buy an Allshare dongle (or similar) but when I spoke to Samsung product support in the UK they told me that also was not compatible with my TV and they could not suggest a solution (other than of course buying a newer model of Samsung TV!).

I'm now wondering if buying a Google Chromecast dongle (only £30 here in the UK) might be my best option to allow me to easily mirror from my tablet to my TV. I particularly want to display streaming TV sports broadcasts from either YouTube or on Sopcast from my tablet to my TV, but would also like to be able mirror/play other things like stored vids on my tablet to my TV. I understand streaming sopcast streams to Chromecast is tricky but have found sites and Youtube videos that explain how it CAN be done.

So my question is, do you think a Chromecast dongle would be the best soution for me, or what other options do I have?

Chromecast does two things
1) It acts as a receiver for Chromecast supported apps allowing you to beam content from those apps to the TV/Chromecast, not all apps support Chromecast.

2) Display mirroring from Android is very new and only certain devices will get this. Samsung galaxy s4, s5 and note3, note10 are on the list, dont know if yours is. There are ways of enabling support but it requires rooting your device.

The other option which is what the Samsung Allshare thing really is just under another name is Miracast. Miracast is mixed bag but you can buy dongles which you can plug into your TV like this but the better regarded device is the Netgear Push2TV as it at least supports a few Samsung notes.

Chromecast does two things
1) It acts as a receiver for Chromecast supported apps allowing you to beam content from those apps to the TV/Chromecast, not all apps support Chromecast.

2) Display mirroring from Android is very new and only certain devices will get this. Samsung galaxy s4, s5 and note3, note10 are on the list, dont know if yours is. There are ways of enabling support but it requires rooting your device.

The other option which is what the Samsung Allshare thing really is just under another name is Miracast. Miracast is mixed bag but you can buy dongles which you can plug into your TV like this but the better regarded device is the Netgear Push2TV as it at least supports a few Samsung notes.

Thanks for your quick and very helpful reply. I'm still interested in the Chromecast and as you say it's Screen Casting (mirroring) feature is probably just what I need so I'll just have to hope they add support for that on the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 soon.

Is your Galaxy Tab rooted as I believe that a rooted device can be mirrored to the chromecast via a mirroring app
No, it's not rooted as I'm a bit wary of doing that. Does rooting it void the warranty? Otherwise, how difficult is it to root it and if I do so does it reset the device so that I would have to reinstall all apps etc?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom