1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's best upgrade path to improve the stereo sound of your receiver.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Ninjaman, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Ninjaman

Ninjaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a Pioneer VSX2011, Hitachi pd5000. Momitsu (soon to be), Roksan Cas CD, pioner DVD656, and Front Acoustic Energy Speakers/Dali Subs/ Missions Rear, surr backs and Centre, qed silver anni cables, cabletalk monitor 3 interconnects.

I am not happy with the stereo performance from my pioneer. So.....

1. I was thinking about adding a power amp to the preouts for the front channel? Not sure of the improvement if any as the having the pioneer as a pre-amp would be counter productive.

2. Then a was thinking about getting the really good stereo integrated amp ( Roksan caspian, Arcam, Rotel, Musical Fidelity or Quad) and connect my cd player to it and it the the preoouts of the receiver. Do this i will lose out on the subwoofer whilst in cd/stereo mode, but i will be able to biamp using speaker a and b terminals, stereo int amp depending.

3. Or just create a whole new separate stereo system.

So whats it generally the best way to improve the stereo amplication from your receiver without having to undergo a massive overhaul.

I like option two the best. :confused:

2. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    buy a better stand alone processr - use the pioneers by-pass untill you can change to a multichannel power amp.

3. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, the best bet is to buy a good integrated stereo amp. this will mean that

you get great stereo sound
    you can use the front l & r as a poweramp when using the av amp

you can also use your sub while using the stereo as long as you connect it properly (there have been several threads on this as i myself went through the same thing you are now). When using it like this the stereo amp controls the l & r volume and the av amp controls the sub volume which is pretty cool. :)

i would recomend an arcam (A90/A32) as those models are good stereo amps which have a fixed gain i.e. your av amp controls the volume of the stereo amp when using the av amp for movies/tv etc...

I hope that helps.

CaM

4. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I use a Arcam FMJ A22 connected to the pre-outs on our amp works a treat.

What you really need is one that has a processor function or whatever it's called depending on the Manufacturer.

But basically this is a fixed level input so you don't have to move the volume to exactly the right level. When you turn it onto this input then the level is fixed, otherwise each time you turn to that input on the amp you have to work out the correct level.

Then you can connect your CD Player etc... directly to the stereo amp rather then have it run through the AV Amp.

Cheers

Steff

5. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Have you tried bi-amping the evo's using the 2011's rear surround channels as the second amp as I believe you can do on it? Its supposed to make quite a difference to the stereo sound. Otherwise you could do what i did and got a seperate pre and power amp for stereo. Beats the Yammy 1400 hands down :D in stereo:smashin:

6. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Get a separate system if you can afford it. Get a nice integrated (I really like the LFD Zero Mistral, it makes a change to listen to something from a small dedicated manufacturer who doesnt contribute to the advertising revenue of wot hifi).

7. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Ninjaman

I think option 2 is your best bet, you can upgrade your system over time step by step.

I wasn't that happy with my 2011 in stereo driving B & W 603 S2's so I went for an Arcam A85 integrated and boy what a massive improvement for music playback. Also very convenient as it has the AV unity gain function.

I then proceeded to upgrade the music side replacing the A85 with a MF 3.2 Pre/Power, adding more powers and using the 2011 as a processor and then replacing the 2011 with a Meridian 565.

HTH

Gus

8. Ninjaman

Ninjaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for all your replies. Indeed it seems like option two is the best. So its just about choosing the right integrated amplifier.

Gus can you explain what the AV unity gain function does on your Arcam?

9. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Well I've actually sold my A85 but from memory you convert the Tape input into a fixed gain AV input.

Press select 4 times, scroll to processor mode and then fix the level between 0 and 72.

With the level fixed you simply go to processor mode and run the 2011 MCACC then when you want music use the A85's volume control, when you want a movie select Tape on the A85 and use the 2011's volume control.

Gus

10. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Pioneer AV Receivers are far to being the most musical...

Get a warmer and musical stereo power amp or two monoblocks, via the receiver pre-outs to activate the front speakers.

Many people have this setup and it's very a nice improvement! :thumbsup:
    I may go this way!

11. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roksan caspian AV amp 5 to run fronts biamp and centre
    or all 5 main speakers single amped