• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Whats best to do: Leave the lens on or take it off when not in use

_Dragon_

Just out of interest what does everyone do when they are not using their DSLR,Do you take of your lens every time you have finished using your camera or do you leave the lens on,I was thinking everytime you take the lens off then there is chance of dust getting in the camera.

weetsie

dont take it off unless you need to, some gear bags fit best with your body without a lens, but if its just at home or the camera fits in your bag with the lens dont take it off untill you need to change it.

shotokan101

Banned
Keep it on - minimises chances for dust/dirt gto get inside.

JIm

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
leave the most suitable lens on for an average shot , i have a 17-85 and a 70-300 , i always leave the 17-85 on the body , as important though is how you leave the settings on the body , i suggest ISO 200 and F5.6 or 1/200 depending on aperture or shutter priority :)

RobDickinson

Most pro's I've seen take the lens off and have the bodies in their bags along with the lenses (and usualy without caps!), but most everyone else leaves a lens on.

Typicaly I have my 17-55 on but atm its the 400.

weetsie

Most pro's I've seen take the lens off and have the bodies in their bags along with the lenses (and usualy without caps!), but most everyone else leaves a lens on.

its true, seen alot of pros that have no caps on bodies, lenses or anything.

i think the reason is that they have very expensive equipment for speed, reliability and weatherproofing. i don't think they mind f a little bit of dust softens their images slightly, its probably a good trade off for the speed of not having to remove caps all the time.

_Dragon_

Well ive now started to keep the lens on its not like im going to be needing to change the lens as i only have the one.

Thanks.

Chubster

+1 on keeping the lens on. I also keep the camera in a small cool bag, not to keep it cool, just so it dont look like a camera :)

Pirate!!

Banned
If you take it off, you have to replace it with a body cap . . right? . . . . And depending on how many lenses you have and your camera bag design/layout/type, I have my Sigma 100-300mm F4 permanently attached as this makes others lens storage more manageable (there's nowhere else for it to go anyway). Essentially, unless you NEED to remove the optic (for another lens or to clean sensor/chamber/viewfinder), leave it on as it'll be better at keeping dust etc from the main chamber.

Mike.P®

Mine is in the bag wih the lens off and body cap on.

Only reason is because I can fit more in that way .. it's just the way I like my bag packed.

simonblue

Distinguished Member
its true, seen alot of pros that have no caps on bodies, lenses or anything.

i think the reason is that they have very expensive equipment for speed, reliability and weatherproofing. i don't think they mind f a little bit of dust softens their images slightly, its probably a good trade off for the speed of not having to remove caps all the time.

It is when i was a pro,i never used to have my body/lens caps on,i was alway losing them.
But if i was away,i would carry 4 SLR pro body,a leica m6,about 7 lenses all prime,they used to get a bit of stick,but every night i would clean everything,from top to bottom,and they would have a good service at least 4 times a years :)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom